Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS
- - By js55 (*****) Date 07-20-2016 13:37
I decided to open a new thread to state my opinion since the other contextual threads were running long. This whole incident pertaining to the changing of the forum will be a litmus test for the American Welding Society. Clearly the forum participants have expressed their rejection of the planned changes.
It has always been my opinion that the American Welding Society could not care less about the welding industry, education, or the communicative forums that are herein connected.
All they care about is revenue. It is a business. That's all.
All our discussion of the value of the forum will fall on deaf ears to those who make the ultimate decisions. If one wishes to sway them you must convince them that they will lose revenue. Other than that, it is a waste of time.
This is certainly an instance where I would wish to be proven wrong.
We'll see won't we.
Parent - By Trackergd (**) Date 07-20-2016 15:23 Edited 07-20-2016 15:44
From the history of the AWS:

"The organization is perhaps best known for its code and certification procedures, which provide industry standards for the welding and joining of metals, plastics and other materials. Through their publications, internet forums, social media, member services, local and national events, educational resources, networking activities, and certification procedures, AWS keeps welding professionals and those interested in materials science up to date with the most current advances and procedures in the industry".

"Headquartered in Miami, Florida, and led by a volunteer organization of officers and directors, AWS serves over 73,000 members worldwide and is composed of 22 Districts with 250 Sections and student chapters. The Society is dedicated to supporting hundreds of thousands of industry professionals, including: welders, business leaders, sales and service teams, manufacturers, vendors, associations, educational institutions, committee volunteers, and students".

My comments:

The AWS was founded (like many other Engineering and allied processes in it's day) by selfless individuals like Comfort A. Adams who wished to make the world a better and safer place.  One may wonder why the sudden changes in recent months to exclude anyone without the means (financially or national repression) to pay "tribute" to Caesar when the organization is non-profit and it's officers and directors are volunteers?

The AWS may very well lose revenue.  History has proven there is always a price for draconian practices.  The more tragic loss will be prestige, honor and respect from it's members and the world community.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-20-2016 19:33
More NON MEMBERS come to this forum with CWI preparation and study questions than any other place. 

People who take the CWI exam must become members (pay the fee)

If not for this forum there would be fewer people confident enough to approach the exam... and many more people pass the exam due to the help provided here.

More money for AWS

Do a simple Google search on any difficult technical welding, fabrication, metals joining question... The first and best responses come from here... (A credit to the AWS)   This is a fact and really not open to dispute.

When this goes away... The credit goes away... The money goes away.

How's that JS  ??
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-20-2016 19:46
The best I've heard so far. Lets see if those making the decision are as gifted in grasping your point as you were making it.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 07-21-2016 03:40
True Lawrence, my ex-boss has given me some of his review notes in NDT that he used during the SCWI exam.
According to him, the notes were given by you in this forum. Without your help, I may not be able to hit the goal in my first attempt and need to pay twice for retaking the exam. Thank you!
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-20-2016 22:00 Edited 07-21-2016 06:50
ok
you asked me run this business and this site
objective make $$$$$ and keep it free to posters and the same type format
tie this site in with TWI aka the welding institute
both gain huge amount new posters, readers and prestige,
and make both even more respected worldwide:eek::cool::grin:
next
tie in with Jody @ welding tips and tricks
he gains alot and the forum gains his knowledge
same with Walt Speko (sp) (sorry Walt)
so far 2 adds that bring more eyeballs which = more $:twisted::evil::cool:
next add the big names ie Lincoln, ESAB, Fronius, Miller, OTC Diahan, etc etc
and not for advertisements
to push their products and link to videos
beats youtube and goes to the people who use and buy the products
add in special discounts for forum users
next
push people like Kaye @ Bill's welding repair
small business's worldwide
have real job offers here
employers can see how much people know by
their post history, cuts the interview time way down
everyone of these, if followed would be glad to help support this forum
financially $$$$$$$$$$$$
look to the future
the past here has so much knowledge that has been shared
the future could be even better
for everyone:cool::grin::yell:
just my thoughts
and let us leave out my MBA, and multi million $$$$$$$$ companies
I have started from nothing, oooooppppsss :razz::smile::cool::eek:
sincerely,
Kent
edit: left out Ed Craig @ weldreality
another with benefits for both :wink:
2nd edit:
look at unions
( I am not fond of them)
but ironworkers, pipefitters, sheet metalworkers, etc etc
can look here for knowledge and employees
then you also have companies like Baileigh, Jet, Bridgeport etc etc
be able to help on equipment
alot of things tie into metal work and welding
and do not ask about metals and metallurgy
that is a decades long discussion
everything I listed here
should be glad to support this forum
and this forum should be glad to look at the products
they offer
and I have not even touched black smithing, arc smithing and
oranmental iron yet
there is a gold mine:eek::cool::red::evil::twisted::wink::smile::red:
btw: I can explain the accounting and tax advantages on this for all parties :wink::cool:
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-20-2016 22:02
DAMN!!!!!!!!!
that was a wall of text
took 30 minutes to type it
2 words a minute
might be a little slow :red::roll::eek:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-20-2016 22:04
Henry is gone

Somebody must step up and provide walls of text.

Kent appears to have self-nominated.

Until this forum joins Henry in that big shop in the sky.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-21-2016 04:08 Edited 07-21-2016 06:08
self nominated??????????
my typing SUCKSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!:red::eek:
count on me for another wall of text be waiting decades:razz::red::eek::wink:
can put up a wall of emjois:razz::wink::roll::lol::evil::twisted:
sincerely,
Kent
P.S. my spelling and grammar really suck:red:
DAMN it Lar
I am a welder not a writer
paraphrase Bones on star trek
- - By Paladin (***) Date 07-23-2016 18:09
There are lots of threads about the forum change. This one seemed about as good as any for this thought.

Instead of closing the forum to almost all of the world (what percentage of the population are AWS members?),
and FORCING any who want to use the forum to become AWS members,
why not put that energy into showing us non members why we should join AWS because we WANT to not because we are forced to?

Floyd
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-25-2016 02:57 Edited 07-25-2016 03:00
I have a question; "How many AWS staff even knew what AWS was before being hired to fill an open position?"

I remember when most of the people working at AWS were AWS members working in the welding industry before joining the staff of AWS. Not that I blame anyone for taking a job, my point is their interests do not necessarily align with those of us that actually have a commitment to the industry we've chosen. To many AWS staff it is just a job, a stepping stone to something else. To us, it is our chosen career.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-25-2016 04:07
Very true and I think that is starting to show in many ways, advertising, publishing, certification, education, all have taken some turns in application of how things are handled.

Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS