Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Certified Welding Engineer
- - By mjs48 Date 07-21-2016 16:12
Hello

I am looking to become a certified welding engineer, I am already a mechanical engineer and am a welding professor at a local college.

I am located in the Canton Ohio area and was wandering if anyone is or knows of anybody in my area who I could talk too about the test itself or any information? I have already spoken to AWS and they recommended the forum as an option for my question.

Thank You
Mike
Parent - By Trackergd (**) Date 07-21-2016 17:50
Mike,

Besides the fine and knowledgeable folks here, you might want to talk to the folks at the Hobart Institute of Welding Technology in Troy OH.  I have found them to be helpful.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-24-2016 02:22
You may be able to search the post for CWENG or click this link to see posts with that in the text.

https://app.aws.org/forum/forum_search.pl?words=Cweng&user=&board=0&field=body&min=&max=&order=desc

Of course the info from AWS is a resource that you may already be aware of but here it is again. http://www.aws.org/certification/detail/certified-welding-engineer

Have a great day. Wish I could help you with my experience but engineer I am not. Wish I was sometimes but cant think of 4 years of welding experience I would have traded for it yet.

Welcome to the best welding forum in the world...while it lasts!

Gerald
Parent - - By HJLBX Date 07-26-2016 23:24 Edited 07-26-2016 23:29
The training materials for the CWE are essentially non-existent.  If you are a PE and used any one of the more popular training materials\programs to study and practice for the PE exams, then you will be extremely disappointed as to what is available for the CWE exam.  The materials that are available are a side-show of a side-show...

There is one or two practice CWE exams floating around the web.  What I recall was polynomial factoring questions - from middle school - and mostly basic questions.

IF you are expecting practice exams - like the ones you used to prep for the PE - that are truly reflective of the type and range of difficulty on the actual CWE exam - just put it out of your mind - as there isn't any such practice exams or question banks.  Like I said, its a side-show of a side-show...
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-27-2016 00:02
Just for the record, it is the CWEng as opposed to the CWE (Certified Welding Educator) he is looking for info on.  But, I believe that is the one you were referring to, just with incorrect designation.

Brent
Parent - By HJLBX Date 07-28-2016 03:43
Yeah... thanks Brent.
Parent - By toddler (**) Date 05-21-2019 06:07 Edited 06-11-2019 03:40
This is way tooo late but any way here goes my comment:

I think the question should be rephrased as:

WHAT DOES IT TAKES TO BE A WELDING ENGINEER?
in conjunction with:

WHAT ARE THE USUAL FUNCTIONS OF WELDING ENGINEERS IN A COMPANY?
- - By nagarajan Date 10-25-2016 07:04
Hi Friends,

I am using AWS D1.1 Code for construction, we have LPT and MPT to test in the welding Joints,but in AWS D1.1 They did not provide the acceptance criteria for these two methods,for procedure it says we need to refer ASTM E165 for LPT,So for this what should i do???

Thanks in advance..

Naga
QC Engineer
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-25-2016 14:00
How many of other peoples threads are you going to hijack.

Answered on one of the others.
Parent - By mariagarcia (*) Date 03-04-2019 12:13
Welding engineering firms, mechanical engineering, agricultural engineering, electrical engineering firms all will need welders. This makes it possible for you to easily get a job in a state or even town that you really want to work in as welding jobs are all over.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Certified Welding Engineer