Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Weld MP35N to 15-5PH Possible?
- - By ogdenfj Date 07-26-2016 14:38
Can nickel-cobalt heat resistant alloy, MP35N be welded to 15-5PH martensitic stainless steel?  What would be the recommended filler metal?

Thank you
Fred
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-26-2016 15:50
What is the intended application? Sticking together and suitable foor service are widely different ranges. The materials you mention have vastly different mechanical properties that require consideration during design annd engineering of a product.

Pieces joined together that are dis-similar may lose some of the properties in the WM or HAZ.  Both are weldable alloys and your best bet would to perform testing using filler metals suggested by the manufacturer. If none are suggested for the bimetallic weld, try one with each of the filler metals suggested for each base metal.

This would probably be best answered by someone familar with the application and service conditions. If you are making some Yard art, you have a great deal of fllexability, if you are making surgical implants or aerospace equipment,  its an entirely different story and in need of some actual research and testing that is far beyond the scope of online forums.

Consulting an actual metallurgist would be a great place to start however there very well may be some here that are familar with this material.  (More the Nickel Cobalt than the PH Stainless). In addition, you failed to mention the condition in which the 15-5 ph is supplied which would propably be of interest to someone smarter than I that ccould give you some real help.

Old welders like me,,, i just start with RN-82 if anything seems odd :)

Hopefuully you will find some help and welcome to the forum.

I'd like too ask, What brings you here? How did you hear about this forum? I would imagine working with those materials, you would be looking in quite a few places.

Have a great day and good luck. I'm looking forward to some responses that help you out. Tell us more about the product though.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By ogdenfj Date 07-28-2016 21:55
Thank you very much Gerald !   Human space application, the abort launch system on Orion.   Class C weld.   Don't need anything close to full strength; partial penetration, tack/staking type welds.   Just looking to avoid some development time.

Cheers
Fred Ogden
PMP, Orion
Lockheed Martin Space Systems
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-28-2016 22:34
Fred,
I myself would use inconel or hastelloy and GMAW-P
ie ( Lincoln STT, Miller RMD, Fronius-P, etc etc )
I would use either filler for FJPW, let alone PJPW and tacking
and GMAW makes for more production less cost and waste:eek::cool::yell:
here is a novel thought
fire all the engineers and just ask me your questions:eek::roll::evil::wink::twisted::razz:
hell just fire all the engineers
there is a good start:wink::razz:
hope this helps
mostly sincerely,:wink::razz::twisted::evil:
Kent
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-29-2016 01:46
NiCrFe-3 has been my friend many times on "just gotta stick together" as has NiCrMo-3/4
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Weld MP35N to 15-5PH Possible?