Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Banned
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-30-2016 15:14 Edited 07-30-2016 15:17
I understand a member of our community, Jeff Scott, has been "banned" by AWS staff for his post that states his opinions on the upcoming changes, i.e., the exclusion of nonmembers from the "new and improved" forum.

Fortunately, the AWS forum is not the only forum available that will allow us to discuss issues related to welding. Eng-Tips is another site available for discussing a subject near and dear to us. Anyone that would like to continue our discussions will find me there.

It amazes me that AWS can't remove obvious spam, but within hours of posting something critical of AWS they will ban someone from the forum.

"Thin skin" is all I can say about the AWS staff that took the position to ban a member of our community for criticizing AWS. It is not one of AWS' shining moments.

Would you like to comment on this Alfred? What was so horrendous about the post that justified banning this individual from the forum?

Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-30-2016 15:20
I just posted one with a link one I just setup just in case. Wonder what will happen there ?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-30-2016 16:30
I just visited the alternate site.

I hope you don't mind me listing it here so more members of our community can take advantage of the new site.

http://weldertraining.org/forum/

Best regards - Al
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 08-01-2016 13:03
I just registered there. Thanks Al.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 07-30-2016 22:43
I wonder if AWS cannot see or does not care what they are doing to this site?

Griff
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-31-2016 04:47
I don't know what exactly they want, but they have expressed that it is to bring the membership together into one fold and be a community with a common communication network.

Don't know how they expect it to work.  A small percentage of members in a section respond to the mass mailed emails sent out for section meetings.  Most will tell you they never get them.  Many others will sign in and then never use it or some may only lurk but never take an active part in it. 

Look at the testing of the Beta site.  273 participants.  How many participated?  A couple dozen and most of those only a couple of posts.  Look at this forum, I have posted it before, many thousand users,  and how many do we see in a year?  About 3 thousand. 

It is the service provided here that draws new people most of whom are non AWS members.  And they want to drop it and go to a members only forum. 

Off soapbox, I asked to give them time.  Let's see what they actually come up with.

Brent
Parent - - By anieves (*) Date 08-01-2016 15:28
I was just informed of what happened. This was done in error. They are working on the site and trying to figure a way to possibly bring over the information on this forum as well as keep everything archived for future reference. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If anything like this happens in the future please let me know and I will make sure it is handled immediately. Please email or call me directly at AWS....anieves@aws.org
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-01-2016 15:45
Pretty sure a backup of whichever database is on the backend and then working with it as opposed to the live data may be the way to eliminate that from happening in the future. Even if you have remote hosting, phpmyadmin may handle making a duplicate. I m sure there are more elegant ways but that is one that comes to mind quickly.

Would love to help with such a project but not really experienced in such things.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-02-2016 03:50
That doesn't explain why a member of our community was "Banned."

Al
- By TB48 (*) Date 08-01-2016 18:04 Edited 08-01-2016 18:12
Although I don't post much on here I do read the forum everyday. I have learned a lot from everybody on here. I am a member but I am hoping that this forum doesn't go to members only.

There will be a lot of information lost on here if that is the case.

I did register on the other forum. Got to keep learning.
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Banned