Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Work
- By IowaCWI (*) Date 08-04-2016 21:19
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen! It is a rough year for contracts ya :eek: ? I am a CWI with ASNT lvl II UT,MT,VT & PT. Have been contracting for a couple of years and everything has dried up recently. I would imgagine that I am not the only one having a hard time right now. If anyone finds anything worth while, ie mileage and per diem, place post here and I will do the same.

Thank you
Brad C
- - By Ron Duszynski Date 08-25-2016 16:16
I hope this is the correct forum to ask this...I am a fairly new CWI
I have been asked to do some contract welder qualifications.  I was wondering what the fair market rate would be to provide such services?  I live in north central Indiana, if the local region makes a difference.

Thanks
Ron
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-25-2016 21:55
Probably should have started your own thread for that question but not a problem.

It is not reasonable to try to tell others what a good market value is without 100% of the information and even then, I may be able to get more than you because of my reputation and re pore with customers. 

Also, everyone has their own skills set and we all do things differently. 

You also must consider your work requirements: do you have- insurance and what kind? Gen Liab, Prof Services- errors and omissions, workers comp, hired auto for job site (additional to standard auto insure), medical, etc.  Do you have a fund for updating your code books?  A fund for no work periods?  A fund for equipment replacement or buying specialty tools you don't already have?  Do you have advertising- business cards, phone book, website, etc?  Do you have a company/work vehicle that will need replacing and travel expenses?  Do you have all the PPE that you will need on various jobs- hard hat, vests, climbing gear, safety boots, glasses, etc.  Do you have ALL the certs you will need- the CWI is just the beginning? 

Every region of the country and job market (pipeline, shop QC, QA field or shop, powerplants, etc) are all different. 

Welder Qualifications: that will depend upon how many tests, what kind of tests, material, thickness, and much more.  Do you have a bender?  Do you have report forms?  Do you have the code they need to be qualified to? 

Basically, I have a base price of $500 for one test in all positions to D1.1.  But, there is much more involved in my tests than what many do. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 09-04-2016 14:22
Along with the other advice shared here, I would verify the my current employer does not consider this as a conflict of interest. Military primes are sometimes picky.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 08-26-2016 02:31
If you are willing to work for a $1.50 an hour, then charge them $12.00 for your time, $25.00 for the pair of test plates and backing bar, and another $6.00 to cut and bend the test specimens. You are probably using someone else's code and band saw so it would not be right to charge them for that.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Work