Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Can i brazing with 99.99% fine silver wire?
- - By xchcui (*) Date 09-03-2016 17:37
Hi.

I understand that i can braze two fine pure silver object together and
i don't need any brazing flux for that. 
Can i use 99.99% fine silver wire to braze also other metals or other metal alloys?
Do i need any brazing flux?

Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By xchcui (*) Date 09-04-2016 16:45
Is there anyone that may help me with that question?
Thanks.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-04-2016 17:02
I'm sure you can, but why would you if there are less expensive alternatives?

al
Parent - - By xchcui (*) Date 09-05-2016 12:49
Since,i need to braze two parts of an eye glasses,which made of metal alloy(i don't know what kind of alloy it is,but it has a shiny silver color) and i prefer to use a wire material that doesn't cause skin allergy/irritation.
99.99% silver wire seems to me the right choice and i,already,have some fine silver wire 0.3mm.
But since the eye glasses made of metal alloy,Do i need any brazing flux like borax?
or can i braze it directly without any flux?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-05-2016 13:00
The frames can be constructed from several metals commonly used, i.e., titanium, stainless steel (one can only guess what type), etc. You can try the silver. It tends to wet pretty easily with many metals.

Silver has a rather high melting point compared to other filler metals that are formulated as Eutectics with relatively low melting temperatures. As someone that is used to working with thin materials, you are probably in a good position to attempt this fine work, but in any event, precleaning and proper fit will be of prime importance.

I used to use lead/tin solder with one of my old eyeglass frames. It would last several months before I would have to repair them again, usually because of corrosion and time. Those frames were plated with gold, so it wet very easily and a simple rosin fluxcored solder was selected due to its low corrosive properties and ease of flux removal.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By xchcui (*) Date 09-05-2016 19:43
Thanks for the explanation.

You have mentioned that you use a simple rosin fluxcored with the tin/lead solder,
But what about the fine silver brazing,do i need to use any flux?(maybe borax paste?)
Or i don't need any flux with it.

BTW,as i mentioned before,i prefer to use fine silver since it is safe with skin contact,
Isn't there any problem that the tin/lead solder(that you have mentioned)in the frame will be in contact with the skin?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-06-2016 02:28
All you can do is try it since you don't know what the base metal is.

Al
Parent - - By xchcui (*) Date 09-06-2016 10:34
Unfortunately,you didn't relate to my question.
May you,please,relate to my question?
Which where:

"...But what about the fine silver brazing,do i need to use any flux?(maybe borax paste?)
Or i don't need any flux with it..."
Do i need,in general,to use flux when using fine silver wire?if yes,does borax ok?
and:

"...Isn't there any problem that the tin/lead solder(that you have mentioned)in the frame will be in contact with the skin?..."
I meant,irritation or allergy,since it will be contact to the skin constantly.

I will try it,eventually,but i would like to be prepared before i am going to deal with that delicate item.

I will very appreciate your hlp.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-06-2016 11:21
The eyeglass frames can be made of many different materials. Using a borax flux would not hurt anything. Regardless of what the filler metal does, the chances of oxidation/scaling are greatly reduced when using flux.

You could get on some jewelry making sites and probably get a better answer but except for a few alloys, I think flux would be the way to go.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-06-2016 18:45
I concur.

Al
Parent - By xchcui (*) Date 09-07-2016 13:57
Ok. thanks alot for your help.:smile:
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Can i brazing with 99.99% fine silver wire?