Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless Tig Colors. How to preserve them.
- - By Nessy Date 10-12-2016 01:02
I want to do some artwork using my Tig welder. I can make the rainbow colors, which may not be desirable as a perfect weld, but is for making art. I tried to coat the cooled piece with some clear spray lacquer. After 3 days the colors are faded except for gold and silver. Does anyone know how to coat these colors so they can be preserved? Leaving them uncovered exposes them to smearing from hands, which erases the colors. Thanks
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 10-12-2016 11:17
Hi Nessy,
Welcome to the obsolete AWS Welding Forum!

I remember a high school shop project making steel sheet metal butterflies. It had the rainbow of colours created from the cutting torch.  If I remember correctly, I used rubbed steel wool onto scrap aluminium(?) stainless(?) (can't remember), then rubbed it onto the sheet metal.
The colours were amazing since it spread in wide bands from the cut edges.  Clear lacquer spray after.

Good luck

Tyrone
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-12-2016 12:25
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-12-2016 11:49
Far from obsolete.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-12-2016 11:58
Nessy,

If the part in question is going to have constant contact, I don't really see a way to preserve the oxide colors  :(

If they are a static display and not handled at all.... Stainless will last for decades with nothing at all.

Carbon steel I use a clear coat to keep rust off my oxide colors (patina)

The shot glass is titanium with no coating at all and is 20 years old and has never lost the patina.... It gets a small bit of use :)
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 10-13-2016 11:58
Lawrence,
Did the same maple leaves joined to a branch!
Nice work.
All my shop projects are still at my parents.  I'll take some pics the next time I visit.

Tyrone
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless Tig Colors. How to preserve them.