Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Exam codebook
- - By Archorp_01 Date 01-19-2017 13:08
I will be taking my CWI exam Next April, so i'm concerned on which codebook choose for it. I'm familiar with D1.1, but everybody keeps telling me to take the exam with the API1104 because "the exam is easier". I would really appreciate your comments on this subject, help my clarify this. Thank you.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-19-2017 15:56
For those that say the exam is easier, ask them if they have taken it with both. I have tested and passed with D1.1 and B31.1/Sec IX but never tried 1104.

Everyone has different experiences. Its my suggestion to use the code you have been using.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 01-20-2017 03:32 Edited 01-20-2017 03:34
I used API 1104 even though I'm more familiar with AWS D1.1. Why? because in the lecture notes that I borrowed during my self study, I noticed that most of the quiz questions were related to API 1104. The tip I got from those who passed before me is to get familiar with the table of Contents, don't put tabbing. Analyse the question and go to the table of contents to find the page number for the answer. So during exam preparation, I did a lot of practice finding the answers to the questions using the said tecnique.
If I remember I got 5 mistakes out of 46 questions.:lol:
- By 803056 (*****) Date 01-19-2017 22:48
I've tested and passed API 1104, D1.1, D2.1, ASME Section IX, B31.1, and B31.3.

I found D1.1 easiest for a couple of reasons. First I was familiar with it having used it. I found the index very useful. I only had to analysis the question and figure out what clause probably addressed the question. Then, looking at the index, I only had to review those sub clauses from the clause I figured would address the question. So, if the question was in regards to qualification, I didn't have to review the clauses from clause 3, 5, or 6 even though they contained a keyword included in the question that I was trying to answer.

Good luck - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Exam codebook