Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Expectations of Welders
- - By Maggs47 (**) Date 05-23-2017 22:11
If I were to give a welder a PQR per AWS D17.1, should I (1) expect the welder to know/look up the dimensional requirements for their weld (leg length, undercut, etc.), or (2) assume they don't know anything but what's on the job card I give them and give them a copy of the relevant information out of the spec? 

I know (2) is more thorough, but I've been trained at this company that the welders are supposed to know more than how to pull a trigger.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to a reasonable balance to aim for?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-24-2017 00:05
You give the welder the WPS, not the PQR.
The dimensions of the weld should be detailed on design documents. (See 4.3.4)

The acceptance criteria should be made aware to the welder but is the responsibility of the inspector.

A code by itself is NOT a suggested practice for operations. A written quality system would be expected in most cases. Within that system, policies and procedures for training should be addressed.  The code contains requirements that may or may not help your organization assure quality.

Companies should have in-house training requirements for assuring personnel meet their requirements. A JOB CARD may or may not give them the information they need. There is nothing that prohibits you from writing joint specific WPS's with supplementary info including acceptance criteria and other requirements.

Of course that is  one persons opinion.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-24-2017 13:31
Well, it was ONE man's opinion, now it is TWO.

It doesn't really matter what the code is, the welders should be given a work specific WPS developed from the applicable PQR unless it is Pre-Qualified.  It is not their job to go through the Contract Documents, all the applicable codes, and the Engineered as well as shop drawings and come up with the appropriate joint configuration, dimensions, allowable parameters for the welding from the PQR and Table from the code, etc.

If they are to be productive and do their job to the best of their ability they need a support crew that takes care of those items for them. 

Leg length is calculated by the detailer based upon the throat and calcs from the engineer.  Sure, the formula is included in many of the codes but it isn't up to the welder to run that info.  That should have been done before a shop drawing ever got to them. 

Discontinuity allowances will change from code to code and job to job as well.  That info should be in a pre-production meeting and included in job specific packets available on the work floor.  Then, those things are not really the job of the welder who should just be doing their best on every job.  QC is to find and evaluate those items for correction.  Yes, the welder is the first line of QC as far as I am concerned, BUT, that doesn't mean they have to stop and look everything up all the time to see if they need to correct an undercut or porosity. 

Having said all of that, No, don't assume they don't know anything besides info you give them.  But, also don't expect more from them than is reasonable.  None of us knows everything.  Inspectors are expected to know where to find information, not be able to answer every single question off the top of their head.  Same with welders, they know how to weld for your shop's work.  Some items they can find for themselves.  But, don't expect them to know how to do their job and QC's job too. 

Training is a major responsibility that shops in many sectors of the welding industry are totally ignoring.  They just hire and throw to the wolves and see what happens.  If they don't like it, they fire and start over.  Most industry problems are the result of very poor management and stupid (yes, I said it) attitudes on the part of those who need to be working to improve their people not just expect to be able to hire the best available and get immediate top performance and results. 

I like the statement:  CFO= 'What happens if we spend time and money to train these people and they leave?'  CEO= ' What happens if we don't and they stay?' 

It takes money to make money.  It takes training to get quality AND production. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-24-2017 22:41
I approach the problem this way:

The WPS provides the basic information needed to set up for the work. A separate annex, referenced by the WPS, lists the base metal specifications, grade, product form, thickness, and minimum preheat and interpass temperatures based on base metal thickness. Another annex, also referenced by the WPS depicts the weld details such as the groove details and fillet weld details with permitted working tolerances. A third annex, referenced by the WPS or traveler (depending on the shop's operations) provides detailed acceptance criteria.

The WPS and three annexes provides the welder with just about everything needed to make a code compliant weld.

The level of detail included in the specific annex is dependent on what the contractor is building, the applicable code, etc. There is no such thing a one shoe fits all. I just reviewed some "canned" WPSs purchased from an on-line "expert." They are absolutely useless. They provide no useful information to the welder unless he has a copy of the code book in his welding booth and knows how to read and apply a code.

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-25-2017 14:38
For the past month or two, I  am having to treat everyone on the job as a 5 year old and explain everything in great detail as to what I expect to see when I return for my final weld inspection. I have recently been introduced to people who claim they have been in this business for 40 plus years and still do not understand basic fillet weld symbols or what paperwork is required  for welder certification or WPSs.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-25-2017 14:52
Are you inspecting steel construction by any chance? That's what I have come across.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-25-2017 15:41
My usual contractors are very busy and have sub'd out to outfits that I have not had any previous dealings with. Boy, my eyes have been opened to a whole new world of welding ignorance.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-25-2017 16:59
Welcome to my world.

LOL.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-26-2017 03:25
The less they know, the more we make. Their pain is my profit.

Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-26-2017 10:58
You would think that somewhere along the road in 40 years that a field welder would have seen a WPS or have taken several welding tests and have a general understanding of a few basic things. I realize they just want to show up and get told "weld this" and they put a pass on it and want to get paid.

I was privileged to some shop drawings the other day that didn't have a single weld symbol, just a note that stated all fillet welds are to be 1/4" continuous unless noted. I looked at a column with stiffeners, a shear tab, a seat, a cap plate, a base plate and other clip angles and what not...nothing showing the welder any location or where to place these continuous 1/4" fillet welds.  Same with the paint notes..."apply one shop coat of weldable primer"...no target or range of mils for the painter. This particular place has been fabricating steel for over 35 years.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-26-2017 10:56
I am even amazed by the general contractors lack of knowledge related to welding. Surely if I were paying someone to perform a task for which I was responsible for, I would have someone in my organization with a clue!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-26-2017 11:00
"I am even amazed by the general contractors lack of knowledge related to welding. Surely if I were paying someone to perform a task for which I was responsible for, I would have someone in my organization with a clue! "-Gerald

Me too Gerald!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-26-2017 13:33
Come on now guys, you don't give them near enough credit.  They KNOW A WHOLE LOT MORE THAN THEY ARE SHOWING!!

Wait until you have taken some of your valuable time to do SOME training and guiding about the codes, WPS's, WPQR's, how to properly use fillet gauges, etc,  and when you come back 4-6 months later they act like they have never seen nor heard this before. 

And, just like the first time, 'We have been doing this for 30 years and I have never heard that before'.  Yeah, what happened to your short term and/or long term memory?  I just went through it on the last job. 

Oh my, no wonder some people keep making statements about how cynical Al and I must be and how we must be real picky about the codes or we sure must get the unusual once in a lifetime bad apples all to ourselves because others don't see as many of the faults that we talk about on a regular basis. 

All CWI's should have to apprentice under Al and I for a couple of years.  LOL... and pay us for the experience. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-26-2017 19:04
I just returned to the office after paying a visit to a facility that will be fabricating steel for one of our projects. They had a "canned" prequalified WPS, so I asked them to demonstrate the parameters listed would actual produce an acceptable weld.

Three welders tried and three welders failed to produce an acceptable fillet weld with fusion to the root. They tweaked the parameters and passed the fillet test, but none were using the parameters listed by the WPS.

The WPS was for all welds, both grooves and fillets. No sketches, just a reference to AWS D1.1. Tough to do considering the fabricator didn't own a copy of D1.1.

You can't make these stories up.

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-26-2017 19:36 Edited 05-26-2017 20:31
I have read of your travels to places like we are discussing here, but I supposed that I have lived a very sheltered life as an inspector. I had a close circle of local contractors who I've known for years and seemed to generally put out good work and I had learned what to expect out of them. The few things that I would find, as anyone would expect every now and again, would get repaired or addressed while I was still onsite and life was good.
I thought you and Brent were just a bit overzealous at times with the stories :razz:...holy cow, there are places out there that are just as you describe:eek:. These outfits will work the daylights out of you just trying to keep up with the deficiency lists and repeat inspections. I have beat on several lists this week trying to get all of the items repaired and they fix some and miss others. My memory isn't that good and trying to keep all of this stuff straight between numerous projects that are going at the same time is exhausting.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-26-2017 19:53 Edited 05-26-2017 20:08
That's a good argument for keeping good records and a punch list of deficiencies. It is one means of keeping track of what needs to be addressed and what has been corrected.

My reports include the piece mark and the fitting, and the nature of the deficiency.

I've read reports that simply reported the defective member by the piece mark, but that offers little help when there are several fitting on the same member that may or may not need to be corrected. How can anyone remember which fitting was deficient and what the deficiency was without clear records? I know I can't.

Separate from the inspection report that is sent to the customer is a punch list that summarizes the deficiencies by member, fitting,  discrepancy, and whether it was corrected or needs to be corrected.

It's fortunate that most welders and fabricators do their honest best to do their jobs properly. It's unfortunate that the one's we write about are the ones that fail to live up to our expectations.

I've always admired the tradesmen that did his work day in and day out without complaint or mistake. However, the person talked about over the lunch table is the the total screw up! Rarely do we talk about the man that goes to work everyday to support his family. Instead we talk about the drunk that staggers in from a hard night spent on the street.

Like you, I know of plenty of skilled welders that do good work day in and day out, but they aren't the fodder for an interesting story.

Just some of life's lessons.

Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-27-2017 02:50
I don't blame the welders for some of the things I see. The welders and I BOTH know they could have done better. I think often times the welders know what they are supposed to do quality wise but if a supervisor comes out 4 times a day and asks when they are going to be done and NEVER looks at their work, they very well may believe that quality is not important.
Parent - By mariagarcia (*) Date 05-15-2019 12:33
Welders are able to increase their job prospects and salary expectations by expanding their knowledge in the field. Welcome
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Expectations of Welders