Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / LA Certified Welder Exam - PLEASE HELP!
- - By jennjuice Date 11-13-2017 21:40
I have NO welding experience or knowledge so please excuse my ignorance! My boyfriend currently has a job as a Welder and I'm trying to help him prepare for the LA Certified Welder Exam so that he can be certified. I'm trying to find the best book for him to study for the exam, he already has extensive welding knowledge but I've been searching all over the internet and all of the books appear to be for CWI and I'm not sure if that kind of book would be okay to use as well? Below are a few that were looking like the best options, can anyone recommend on of these below or perhaps a better book I should be looking for. ANY help is so appreciated - thank you for your time! :)

~Welding Licensing Exam Study Guide (McGraw-Hill's Welding Licensing Exam Study Guide)
~QuickPass Certified Welding Inspector AWS/CWI Study Guide
~Welder's Handbook: A Guide to Plasma Cutting, Oxyacetylene, ARC, MIG and TIG Welding, Revised and Updated
Parent - - By Steelslinger (**) Date 11-14-2017 14:15 Edited 11-14-2017 14:18
I would start with the information contained in this:

https://www.ladbs.org/docs/default-source/forms/trade-license/certified-welder.pdf?sfvrsn=12

Plus this was posted here many years ago, should be similar, but may have changed a bit in 14 years.

https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=3614
Parent - By jennjuice Date 11-15-2017 22:57
Thank you Adam, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me and provide that information.
Parent - By jeffcan Date 12-03-2017 18:15
I'm sure you have visited the LADBS website. They do list books as suggestions for both the general knowledge and current code book. The general knowledge is closed book on symbols and other things found in a text book. I've found the Larry Jeffus books to be pretty good. That's what we used in school. Also your bf needs to decide what area of welding he wants to get his LA City in. This will be his code book for the open book part of the test. LADBS will list D1.1 through D1.5, I believe, but there are others as well.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / LA Certified Welder Exam - PLEASE HELP!