Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS Question About Bead Width
- - By ZCat (***) Date 11-28-2017 01:32
We're doing a stick rod job in the pipe fab shop, something we rarely do anymore. TIG/7018. I was looking at the WPS and it says you can stringer or weave, then it says max bead width is "3 times stick diameter". Now, I have seen 3 times electrode diameter before, never seen 'stick' diameter.
Is it possible they are including the flux in the equation, and not just the bare end? I thought that wording was kind of odd. If you're doing 3 times the electrode diameter there's not going to be a whole lot of weaving going on.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-28-2017 14:58
I'm going out on a limb and say the intention was 3x electrode diameter.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-28-2017 20:57
While I agree with John, I'd get a new WPS.  Any obsolete document using old wives tales that have no documented method of verification of compliance need to be discarded and done in a competent fashion using the applicable guidelines from the code involved.

At least it did not state that the 'oscillation' was limited to 3X electrode diameter. 

More than likely, at some point, someone was attempting to regulate heat input.  That is not a valid method for doing so though I will probably get flamed for the comment. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 11-29-2017 20:22
I usually shoot for "core wire diameter" or just do the math myself for each dia of concern
- By 803056 (*****) Date 11-29-2017 22:55
Since it would appear ASME B31.X would be the applicable code, i.e. pipe shop, or if not B31.X, than perhaps D1.1 if it is a tubular structure, there is no maximum weave width limitations imposed by the code if SMAW is used.

If the contractor wishes to impose limitations on weave width, that is their prerogative.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS Question About Bead Width