Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Suggestions needed for a D1.1 welder transitioning to CWI
- - By jeffcan Date 12-03-2017 17:57
I have over 5 years work experience as D1.1 certified welder. LA City they call it in So. California. Also, a Certificate in Welding and an AA in Science and Math. Rather than transferring to Cal State Fullerton for civil engineering, I think I'd rather become a CWI. I printed out AWS B5.1: 2013 and AWS QC1: 2016. I'm hesitant on jumping in and purchasing all 18 books listed in Appendix A Reference Documents. Should I just start with a few at a time? If so, I am open to suggestions on which ones to start with. Open to any suggestions really for breaking out. AWS is running a pilot program called CWI Pre-Seminar (online course) where you get a package deal of 8 books prior to instructor led seminar, however I'd also have to schedule an exam date as well. I'm not sure when I'll actually be ready to take the exam or I'd join that program. Feel like I'm going in a little cold as I'm finally willing to take this next big step in welding/structural career. Have always been grateful for this forum since I found it in 2007. Happy Holidays fellas.
Parent - - By jeffcan Date 12-03-2017 23:28
I just read earlier post on this same exact topic. It didn't come up on original search, but do see it now on first page.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-04-2017 03:04
I would suggest allowing a month between the seminar and scheduling the examination. That gives you time to study the material presented in the seminar. Any subjects you found bewildering in the seminar are the subjects you need to spend extra time with before the examination.

How are you with WPSs and PQRs? To a large extent, Part B is very heavy into the subject of welding documentation. The Connecticut Section is offering a three day workshop/seminar on the subject of WPSs and PQRs. This month's Inspection Trends has the contact information about the course "The Atlas of Welding Procedure Specifications." The seminar is scheduled for March 2018.

Al
Parent - - By jeffcan Date 12-09-2017 19:02
Thank you Al. I've watched a few you tube videos and I believe they used a response from you on the subject of shelf bars. Am okay with reading and understanding the documents you mentioned, but have never created them. I'll keep an eye on upcoming seminars in my area. I will start by looking into their differences, when each are needed, and what they mean to a welder and CWI. I will start with the subjects in part A and C that I'm comfortable with, but will keep material around for days when I feel like getting deeper ("heavy"). One of the vids I watched recommended gaining knowledge on X-ray inspection. My structural welds usually get either MT or UT tested, but I think there's a third.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-09-2017 21:58 Edited 12-10-2017 03:37
OK, you might want to reconsider giving up on the degree program. Once you have a degree you can always get the CWI. Believe me, the degree will make a big difference in your earning power. It will also be a boon to your opportunities as a CWI.

It took me many years to complete my degree attending college at night. As soon as I had the piece of paper saying I "knew something", a different world opened up.

As for the examination, there are a number of question relating to NDE. If you study the "Guide for NDE of Welds" (B1.10 I think), you should be all set for the CWI. All the questions on NDE come from that guide.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-31-2017 23:58
If you look at the table of contents of the AWS Welding Handbook volume 1, 9th edition (https://pubs.aws.org/Download_PDFS/WHB-1.9PV.pdf you will notice that it closely matches the body of knowledge. https://www.aws.org/library/doclib/BodyOfKnowledge.pdf

There is even a section on Terms and Definitions and Welding Symbols.
Parent - - By KBNY (**) Date 01-22-2018 18:52
I wholeheartedly agree to not necessarily give up the pursuit of an engineering degree. I'm speaking as a CWI that never finished my engineering degree. I would have so many more opportunities if I had that degree and am still looking to finish it nearly 25 years on.

GET THE DEGREE
Parent - By Weldhawk Date 03-29-2018 17:35
Yes to getting the degree! This will also make it easier when working with an engineering staff as a CWI, should you become one.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Suggestions needed for a D1.1 welder transitioning to CWI