Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certification vs qualification
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-30-2017 14:28
Gerald is correct of course, I only referenced D1.1 because I am most familiar with it and had it handy.  My statement was in no way intended to sound like or mean that ONLY D1.1 required a WPS for welder qualification.

Thanks for clearing that up sir.

Brent
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-30-2017 19:26
My point I really wanted to get across is that the code is needed too. I was pretty sure you had a good grasp on the topic too:) .

Have a great day.

Gerald
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-01-2017 03:30
I understand that Gerald.  No problem here.  I just wanted to clarify that to the OP. 

Thanks for your comment.

BB
Parent - By hanahana Date 11-16-2021 09:58
me too...I am familiar with D1.1
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-31-2017 16:35 Edited 12-31-2017 16:38
In an ideal world, the welder should be tested using a WPS provided by the employer. The sad truth is that many empoyers have no idea of how to write a WPS or in some case have no idea what a WPS is.

As a SCWI, I often provide a WPS that is reviewed with the welder, questions answered, test rules are reviewed, acceptance criteria is reviewed before the test is administered. The WPS is specific to the test the welder is taking and it even includes a sketch of the test assembly with the required root opening, etc. The specific WPS used is listed on the WQTR.

I do not use SWPSs purchased from AWS because they are not specific enough to hand to the welder and turned him loose with the expectation of a good results. There is a move underfoot that the welder, testing at the ATF, will have to qualify using a SWPS purchased by the employer. The point is the welder cannot use a SWPS that is owned and provided by the ATF. I guess it is AWS' way of forcing us to purchase SWPSs because their sales to date are so lackluster.

As already mentioned, ASME requires the qualification test be supervised and the coupon evaluated by the contractor. For that one reason, I test the welder at the contractor's facility and have the foreman or supervisor check the set up and visually examine the coupon before I leave the facility.

Happy New Year - Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-31-2017 20:09 Edited 12-31-2017 21:02
I think in Appendix A there is provision for using other WPS's but it does seem like a "gimmick" to convince people to use SWPS's. I was given 2 SWP's from a company that went out of business many years ago. They had never been "assigned" in writing to a company. They are seldom used as its sooooo easy to qualify a WPS per Sec. IX or B2.1.

For Welder Qualification Testing:

For an ASME Sec. IX test in which just the individual is testing for his/her own documentation, I try to make sure I provide the welder with as much information as possible regarding requirements and the process but also not tell them exactly what is the "best" amperage to run the root at or assign specific WFS/Voltage settings or even lock them into a fitup requirement unless the project will have "exact" fitup dimensions on every joint or its a D1.1 test in which the test assembly is specified.

For tests performed for a company and per ASME Sec. IX, I let the company know the wording in Sec. IX that requires them to supervise the testing and then offer my services to supervise the process to assist with assuring code compliance. I also let them know how much Sec. IX leaves out of acceptance criteria and that if they want to "bump it up a notch" they need to let me know.

I will attache a 6010/E71T1 WPS I have written for testing. EDIT: (Still Editing)
Attachment: AS-W-SM_FC1-1.1.pdf (57k)
Parent - By David Daniel Date 02-15-2019 16:45
Hello, Gents,
Who l need a prove as in welding or if any case you need a welder am available in specific metals ( SDSS, DSS, SS, ITCL, CS.)
Thanks
- By Olaffo3 Date 05-10-2017 13:02
I dont understand ;/
- By DANILO Date 03-14-2018 12:00
Hello i would like to certify myself in AWS D 17.1 ,
which in the proof that covers the most materials and positions possible?
Thanks,i live in Italy
- By b.madrid58 Date 03-22-2018 02:01
Hello. my time as a welding student is drawing to a close and i would like to get my e 7018 3/8 plate qualification for 3g and 4g. Having troubles with porosity. the C.W.I SAID "MY ROOT "LOOKS TO ROUGH" then ran a stringer and said my root should look as smooth as the stringer. My restart opened up on the root bend.  with porosity on the cap with the face bend.

can anyone with helpful suggestions give me a few pointers like, "what the puddle should look like"  or how to keep a consistent contact to work distance. tips to smooth out my 1/4 inch root weld and stringers. thanks a lot. ":cool:weld up bro"
- By Danita Goble Date 04-30-2018 16:41
You guys have the best most lively, informative  conversations..  :lol:
- - By ClintonJMolina1 Date 10-27-2018 09:35
I want to take the welding test .. so how should I do ??
Parent - - By toledoseo Date 11-08-2018 09:12
[deleted]
Parent - By David Daniel Date 02-17-2019 08:57
Noted
- By batlle1970 Date 07-04-2019 14:40
hello, I am new here, I came from cuba for years ago. I got an international welding engineer issue by instituto de soldadura e qualidade portugal and I want to know what I have to do do to validate it here in USA. I somebody knows something about it I really appreciate it. thanks
- - By Gigimom (*) Date 03-11-2021 16:36
ok, we have level I requirements of our welders to do 1-1/4" charge weld stainless to stainless, 4-1/4" Butt Welds Sch40w/ER312 filler, 1-2" Butt Weld sch80 with 312 filler 2-1/4" hose assembly to include charge, root, and cap welds (no gap), and 2-2" hose assembly's to include charge, root and cap welds (no gap) , the issue I am having is someone wants me to bypass the full pin welds, since the welder is not ever going to do them , and certify them anyway?? does ASME B31.3 say anything about welding requirements for levels? I was told since I started ,a nd have certified all my welders to our requirements, and am just trying to find a document I can give this person to say we must stick with our current level requirements, no short cuts.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-16-2021 19:52
A welder for most B31.X piping is qualified in accordance with ASME Sec. IX. There are no levels.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certification vs qualification
1 2 Previous Next