Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Technicality of CWI exam?
- - By Cdharris1989 Date 02-26-2018 00:22 Edited 02-26-2018 00:41
Hi, studying for CWI exam and as I go over the AWS suggested criteria I am wondering just how technical this exam really is. Just how detailed are the questions? For you guys both seasoned and fresh as an inspector please give me your honest feedback. Currently studying ANSI Z49.1 Safety of Welding, Cutting, and Allied Products. Also what were your methods of studying?

Thank you!

EDIT: Also how long did you study before you took the exam and passed the first time?
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 02-26-2018 12:10
There is a vast amount of CWI test related info on this forum.
Use keywords in the search function to find it.
Parent - By 2057958 Date 03-05-2018 23:24
I just wrote my exam last Saturday (March 3rd) so I think I can advise on this. Let me start by saying that I have an engineering background so my view of the exam may be biased based on my background. However, I still think the CWI exam is a tough one even for an experienced engineer (I'm definitely not the smartest however..lol). In a nutshell, your background matters and it's hard to advise on what to focus on if I don't know your background but I'll try.

Generally, for Part A I think if you read and comprehend the Welding Inspection Technology book (commonly WIT-book) by AWS you should be fine. The book covers MOST of what you need to know about the Fundamental (Part A) of the exam. I say most because after studying the over 300 page book I still came across question I couldn't answer but you learn enough to know over 90%.

For Part B, THIS IS THE BIG DEAL! I promise you, Part B will drain you no matter your background! You generally don't have enough time because you have weld replicas, ****ty measuring tools, fake Book of Specification, and a Book of Exhibits containing WPS's, PQR's, WTQRs and other info that you need to navigate though. However, I attended a good one week training in Houston and the instructor did a good job and I can proudly tell you I finished and had a good amount of time to review my work. Of course the result is not out yet but I'm pwetty optimisitic. Fingers crossed.

For Part C, I opted for API 1104 and it was quite straight forward. Of course I did prepare for it by reading the spec and marking it up. FYI you're allowed to come in with your own copy of marked up specification.

So.. in summary unless you have all the time in the world i would bother reading all the recommended materials listed in the BOK.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-07-2018 09:43
We all learn differently and have different experiences and knowledge before beginning the journey to pass the test. Here is some info that I wrote.
http://weldingclassroom.com/what-i-studied-to-become-a-cwi
- By 803056 (*****) Date 02-26-2018 19:11
The CWI examinations are very detail and very technically oriented.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Technicality of CWI exam?