Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME B. 31.4 RT Percentage
- - By A.Moradi Date 01-22-2019 16:12 Edited 01-22-2019 16:43
How can i calculate percentage of radiographic test for oil pipe line?
Thanks
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-28-2019 13:42
Moradi,
it's a bit complicated. You will need to have a ASME B31.4 code book. B31.4 sends you to API 1104 for all inspections concerning acceptance/rejection criteria, but what welds get any NDE, other than visual, is based on a number of variables, such as, hoop stress, location, if those locations are near populated areas, near bridges etc. etc.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-29-2019 23:56
Isn't that why they have engineers?

Al
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-30-2019 12:15
Although I agree to a certain extent with you Al, I know that it is not always true. As an example, the EPC company I work for has over 1500 engineers, but the do not handle issues like the one posted by this person. We have Code and welding SME's that handle this. Typically, mechanical and even some welding engineers don't have the experience for this type of code review work, at least that is my experience with my company. We typically have Quality Management SME's that handle this. My opinion is, ASME B31.4, and B31.8 are a little harder to navigate, since both of those COC's sends you back to API 1104 and have other variables that have to be considered. To be honest with you, I enjoy helping others out, even though, I agree with others on this forum that those that post questions like this one, should be doing most of their own homework. My thoughts anyway.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME B. 31.4 RT Percentage