Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / WPS/PQR
- - By Ram TN Date 07-23-2018 04:25
Underway in running a PQR in accordance with AWS D1.6,

As per 4.1.7 "CJP groove welds qualified on pipe shall also qualify
for plate and vice versa"

Kindly, someone, enlighten that different PQRs required for pipe and plate or PQR run on Plate can be used for pipe in production weld and vice versa
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-23-2018 10:44
Not sure what you are asking. The statement "CJP groove welds qualified on pipe shall also qualify for plate and vice versa." is pretty clear if that's what it says.

In most code committee minds, the product form has little to do with the ability of the process to join two materials together.

For performance, that is different.

Your statement that a "... PQR run on Plate can be used for pipe in production...." is not corrrect as you would NOT use a PQR for the production welds. You would use a WPS that is qualified and that qualification is documented on a PQR.

Gerald Austin
Greeneville TN
- - By Ashwin Acharya Date 03-07-2019 09:12
Can anybody guide me how to prepare a WPS for 150mm CS Pipe with 3LPE coating
Parent - By WyattfromMN Date 03-16-2019 15:27 Edited 03-16-2019 15:32
I am a training to become a CWI, therefore take my answer with a grain of salt, but it seems the areas to be welded should not have the coating on, so I would assume one would create a WPS without consideration for the coating. I could be wrong, though!
Also, in order for anyone to guide you on the creation of a WPS, they would have to know other details, such as, but not limited to which code you are using!

I found the following:

“Pipe lengths (typically 12 meters) are coated in a pipe mill or coating plant, with each end left uncoated (bare steel cutback approx. 150–200 mm on each end). These ends are then welded in the field. That weld (field joint) is then coated in the field setting.”

Via: https://www.paint.org/article/corrosion-protection-pipeline-weld-joints/
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / WPS/PQR