Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / WPS Parameter
- - By aravindkm002 (*) Date 11-30-2019 08:10
Dear experts pls clarify my doubts,
As per asme sec 9 position is not an essential variable for WPS .
Let consider I have a pqr qualified in 1G position as per code I can use that WPS for Vertical position welding but by doing so how can I choose the parameters correctly.
The current range required for root run in flat position will it give sufficient penetration and fusion in vertical or overhead position?
How can we select it?
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-01-2019 09:58
Can you please explain why someone is paying you to be responsible for the companies welding procedures and yet you have no idea what you are doing ?
The question you have asked is ridiculously basic and if you cannot answer that yourself you should be nowhere near a WPS !!!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-01-2019 16:52 Edited 12-01-2019 16:56
Ouch!

This may be a one man shop Shane.

My recommendation is to run a few samples to see what parameters work best or visit several manufacturer's web sites to see it they include any information that might be helpful. After all, if it is on the internet, it must be true.

Last point to remember, it doesn't actually have to work to comply with ASME Secion IX. (that's sarcasm!)

Al :roll:
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-15-2019 11:12
That's got some truth to it too!
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 12-02-2019 11:22
aravindkm002,
thanks for posing the question.
One way to do this is to look to the filler metal manufacture. Most of those manufacture will give welding parameters for their product, and if you have a good working relationship with one of their techs, they will be more than glad to give you some insight for welding with their product in other positions.  Second way is to just run a practice plate in other than 1G and document parameters for each filler metal size.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-15-2019 11:12
Consult with someone that welds. When it comes to "developing" WPS's, the "Code" is NOTHING without the ability to weld.

Though WPS's are grand documents, there are other factors that will contribute to the suitability of the parameters on a WPS.

Welders can make sound welds without WPS's. WPS's cannot make sound welds without welders. Just a thought.

Have a great day and welcome to the forum.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / WPS Parameter