Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 6G Up or 6G Down
- - By Josh Waymack Date 12-18-2019 19:53
Hey guys, new here to the forum. I have a question. So I have tested lots of welders in my career and have recently moved into a weld instructor position. I walked into a young mans booth and his 6G weld test was on a 45 deg. But was braced at the top and pointed downward. It caught me off guard and as I thought about it in my mind it should be acceptable...Sec IX shows an illustration & shows the axis and shows it to be set at a 45deg.   Can anyone give me feedback?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-18-2019 19:59
Makes no difference provided the axis of the pipe is 45 degrees to the horizon. I don't believe Section IX or any other code specified whether the pipe is supported from the bottom end or the top end.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-18-2019 23:55
Good Day Josh,

WELDCOME TO THE ORIGINAL AWS WELDING FORUM!!!  THE GREATEST WELDING FORUM IN THE WORLD...BAR NONE!!

I agree with Al.  Axis is the same, joint position is the same.  Only difference is which side of the pipe/tube gets attached to the support frame/pole.  That has no bearing on the test position or results in any code I am even slightly familiar with. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-19-2019 20:41
Hi Josh,
I agree with Al and Brent. The main issue is in regards to the joint and the axis that it is on. Where it is supported doesn't matter.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 6G Up or 6G Down