Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / How to P1 with P15E in the ASME B31.1
- - By Duongvinhquang Date 06-26-2020 01:38
I have to write WPS between P1 with P15E. I use one of transition metal (P5A), so I don't I should cut the length of pipe. Could you show me about length of transtion material in the B31.1? Thank you very much. I can't look for it. Please!
Parent - By Jovi Zhu (**) Date 06-30-2020 06:05
It is a wired design as these two materials are not to be used under the same service condition. If P1 can serve the purpose there would be no reason to select the costly P15E and if P15E is really necessary, P1 will not serve in the condition.

For length of the transition piece I'm afraid that you can not find it in Code book of B31.1. Similar topic such as minimum distance between two butt welds had been discussed somewhere else in this forum and it is believed to be a workmanship issue up to the requirement of the owner/customer other than to be mandated by ASME Codes.

See if anyone else on this forum can give more ideas.

Good luck~

J Z
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 06-30-2020 15:09
The transition piece is part of design and should be done by a design engineer. There is no set length. the design engineer will formulate that based on a design basis. On another note: You must understand something. Per B31.1 P5A is exempted from PWHT up to 5/8" thick. P15E is not exempted. Even though for 15E to 5A you will use B3 filler metal you will still have to PWHT that P15E to P5A welded connection. Your design engineer will need to know that.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / How to P1 with P15E in the ASME B31.1