Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / First time welder, need some help
- - By mtbrider Date 04-07-2005 12:37
I'm going to modify my moutain bike and need to know how to weld it back together with pivot points for a rear shock. The bike is made out of 7005 aluminium I think. The welds must be extreamly strong as they will be subject to about 900 lbs of stress. I have never welded anything before but I have seen it done. I don't know what type of welding, MIG or TIG, to use and what type of filler, if any, I should use. I would also like to know about any prep work needed to be done to the metal and anything that might affect the stregnth of the weld such as air contaminates, ambient temperature, etc.
Parent - - By Arcandflash (**) Date 04-07-2005 20:27
I'd suggest that you get this done by a pro who knows what he is doing so you don't get an aluminum tube in a sunless area when you hit the first bump. Thin aluminum in a critical application isn't something to use as a first learning exercise.
Parent - By mtbrider Date 04-07-2005 23:40
Could you give me an estimated cost of getting it done? There will need to be 5 or 6 welds all but one need to be about .75 inches and the last needs to be about 1.5.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / First time welder, need some help