Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Should I Weld or Solder 1/4" Rod?
- - By msaffer Date 04-08-2005 03:31
Hello everyone this is my first post.

I want to shape and join 1/4" mild steel rods (and even smaller ) together to make some wall hanging sculptures like I saw in one of those "artsy" shops the other day.

I have a mig machine ( Linciln Pro Mig 175) and an Oxy/Ac rig but I would like to know about solder. I have never done it. This piece I was looking at appeared to be soldered because I noticed the joins were almost paper thin smooth.

If solder is the way to go, what kind should I buy? Torch settings? Tips? I have no idea but I am willing to learn from your advice.

Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

I will check back here for any responses I may get, or my email is msaffer@aol.com.

Thank you very, very much.

Michael Saffer
Jacksonville, Florida

Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 04-08-2005 12:19
Michael:

From your description, it appears that you are talking about silver brazing, (sometimes called silver "soldering"). Just go to any welding supply and ask, and they will sell you a coil of the expensive stuff, and the appropriate flux for what you want to do. Follow the instructions on the flux, and in general, the same procedures as in regular brazing, and you should be o.k. You will also need a small tip and lower heat settings on your OA outfit.

Welcome and good luck!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Should I Weld or Solder 1/4" Rod?