Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld Width to Length Ratio
- - By comcam6 (*) Date 04-11-2006 05:57
hi everybody,

I couldn't find any where( in D1.1& D1.5 ,..), any limitation (maximum) for width to length ratio of groove weld ,

but,as i can remember it was not allowable cabs widther than a maximum limit based on acceptance criteria of the company in my previous inspection position.

what paragraph of AWS D1.1 justify it ?
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-13-2006 00:03
Im not sure what your previous position was, but the owner/engineer can and frequently do, designate criteria on appropriate contract documents and drawings. Given that, I suggest that Your first step be to review all appropriate drawings and documents that are applicable to your current situation.
Is your work bridge or structural steel, or both?
As for D1.1 it tends to be very specific about such things. Rather than being given the answer, it might serve you better to look it up. I will tell you this, as an inspector, section 6 of D1.1 is not the only section you need to be reading. You'll find an abudance of usfull information in all sections and applicable anexxes. If your a CWI, you need to have a working knowledge of all sections, not just the inspection criteria. See what you come up with and if you still need help, post again, and I'll go from there.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld Width to Length Ratio