Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / What is the maximum stringer width for a multi pass 2F?
- - By Kix (****) Date 06-20-2007 15:48
   I know what the maximum single pass fillet weld size is, but does anyone know off hand if there is a maximum 2 and 3rd pass stringer width say on a 5/8" fillet weld?  I got a guy that is making these fillets in 2 passes.  His first pass is real small (1/4") and then he lays a gorrilla weld over top of that and it's not penetrating into the base material very far at all.  On that 2nd pass he is only getting into the base material maybe a 1/32" if that. 
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-20-2007 16:02
He's probably violating the width/depth ratio with his top pass fillet.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-20-2007 16:25
If the weld is other than vertical, you will exceed the maximum single pass width for D1.1 prequalified procedures. If vertical, you are fine as far as the code goes for wwidth. The max fill pass thickness is also limited to 1/4" so that would be slightly over. There could be some discussion as to interpretation of the last pass on a fillet weld being a "fill pass".  I would say it is unless someone else told me otherwise that had authority over the project.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-20-2007 16:41 Edited 06-20-2007 16:50
I thought the width to depth ration was only for a single pass fillet weld meaning only one pass.  Or does that go for any pass?  He is welding this in the 2F (horizantal position) and this would not be considered a fill pass because it is the final weld layer.
  Also the width to depth ratio is found in the prequalified code material.  So does that mean he could technically keep welding like this if i qualify a procedure using this technique?
Last question..  If i qualify a procedure in the 2G for unlimited thickness witch will also qualify me for horizantal fillet welds that technique would be no good right?  Do i then use the prequalified code material to determine whether he is outside the limits.  Are you smellin what i'm cooking or do i need to explain it a bit different? let me know
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 06-20-2007 16:44
look at table 3.7 and C-3.7.2
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-20-2007 16:53
  This process is MCAW with .045 wire also.  I forgot to mention that
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-20-2007 19:17
Figure 3.1 applies to ANY pass and grrove welds or fillet welds. The code addresses a bead "Depth" greater than its "Width" not vice versa.

If the procedure does NOT restrict the practice, there is nothing in the code to prohibit what you speak of. If there is some concern beyond that, weld up a coupon using the technique you describe and cut and etch it. By what you describe, you are not even close to approaching the limitations set forth by figure 3.1.

Table 4.6 would be the only thing that would prohibit the practice for a procedure qualified by testing. It addresses changes in heat input.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / What is the maximum stringer width for a multi pass 2F?