Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Backing strip width for welder qualification.
- - By Kix (****) Date 08-20-2007 14:10
I'm testing to D1.1 and on page 179 figure 4.31 for 2006 on the plate dimensions for these test coupons it's telling me i need a 3" wide backing strip if i'm not going to have these plates x-rayed.  Do i really need to use a 3" wide backing strip?  This armor plate isn't cheap and i'd like to use as little material as possible for a backing strip like say at least 1".   You only need a 1" strip if your going to use x-ray for testing.  I'm assuming this is because distortion doesn't really matter for x-ray and a 3" wide strip will cut down on distortion for the bend straps.  If i can keep these things straight can i use a smaller backing strip? Thanks , Kix...
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-20-2007 14:40
The only recourse I see, since that dimension is not listed as a max, and is mandatory, is Section 1.1 D1.1. The Engineer can exempt. But then you have to get the Engineer on each project in which to apply this qual to exempt, I would think.
This is certainly a specific example of what could be a larger question.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 08-20-2007 14:48
You need a 3" wide backing bar if you intend to qualify with X-ray and will not be removing the backing bar.  Otherwise a 1" wide backing bar is required, but has to be removed before testing.

I think the intent is that entire finished weld width needs to be included inside the backing strip volume for continuous radiographic film density across the weld area, making for easier interpretation. 
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 08-20-2007 15:02
Ok i'm smelling what your cooking now i read it wrong. Nice well that helps me out tremendously!! Thanks guys for the real quick info!!!   Off to the cutting table...
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-20-2007 15:57
Bill M to the rescue with a much better reading.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 08-20-2007 16:15
Armor plate to D1.1?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-20-2007 16:54
Scott,
LMAO!!!! 
The new Homeland Security Headquarters. I'm guessin the EOR will exempt that as well as long as it qualed by D1.1.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 08-20-2007 17:59
Right now this stuff is for Blackwater.  We haven't nailed down any government contracts as of yet.  I asked the engineers what code we're going by and they told me D1.1 so off i go.  If we get a Mil contract i am assuming things will be much different.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-20-2007 22:16
That's only the the beginning!!! In Balad, Iraq they're insisting that all of the "welder/mechanics" be qualified to D1.1 in GMAW & FCAW in order to do the repair work on the Buffalo's, JEERV's, and any of the other anti-mine armoured vehicles out in the field... Does anyone want to know what process they use for the repairs and what consumable???

Get a load of this!! SMAW and 11018!!! Huh??? The person I spoke to, is'nt sure if the electrodes have an "M" letter suffix on them which reall does'nt matter but, since it's the military!!! Wait a minute!!! They do'nt have to worry about that because they're only testing to D1.1!!! Then how are they going to bend them properly unless they're using a different grade of steel and consumable for the different processes they insist on to qualify yet, will not actually use in the field??? Why bother qualifying them at all if they're only going to do what they want anyway as opposed to working to any code??? FUBAR??? Definitely reads like it!!! Taxpayers money at work!!!

Anybody read the story about the "Stretched" Coast Guard Cutters docked down south somewhere, where after the work was completed, they were no longer seaworthy!!! One of the congressmen from Mississippi asked if they could be used as river patrol boats down in Colombia for Drug interdiction, and the Coast Guard's response was: "They do'nt think that they're seaworthy enough to even make it down there!!!" The Coast Guard denied access to the congressional member in charge of the Coast Guard's oversight committee so that he could see for himself what specific types of problems these cutters had as a result of the lengthening of these cutters a mere thirteen feet in order to have motorized rafts launch from the rear of the ship!!! Sound's like the cart before the horse working here :( :( :(

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 08-21-2007 16:48
Henry,

Saw it on 60 Minutes the other night.  Looks like my favorite company is eyeballs deep in this racket...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/17/60minutes/main2823448.shtml
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Backing strip width for welder qualification.