Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / FUME EXTRACTION...
- - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-16-2006 20:26
Hi guys,
After reading several posts regarding fumes when welding and a possibility for health concerns, I have a simple yet effective fume venting rig I made for where I work. This is the original prototype I have at home. There are certain frames I weld at work that require an extension added to it to lengthen the height or width for a customer's specification. When welding the extensions to the frames, there is a pliable bonding like glue that is in the grooves of the frame to adhere the material that covers the frame. During the welding of the inside corners of the addition, the glue ignites and produces a terrible acrid black smoke and even my exhaust fan can't remove it fast enough. I made this unit to mount the nozzle close to the welding area and the blower is across my welding table and venting towards the exhaust fan. It has solved my problem with these fumes and does not affect the MIG gas at all since it is of a low enough volume. The blower is nothing more than a small squirrel cage blower a friend gave me from some scrapped equipment. I can adjust the angle and heighten it with an arrow magnet if necessary.

I tried my shop vac prior to making this unit, but the shop vac has too much suction volume and affected the MIG gas flow. I would guess if someone would fabricate a special nozzle cover with small orifices in it, that may reduce the volume sufficiently, but may cause the vac motor to heat up. Anyway, just a way someone may find useful that will help them a bit.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/yorkiepap/DSCF0223.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/yorkiepap/DSCF0224.jpg

Denny
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-16-2006 20:41
Hi Denny, that looks like a great little unit for exactly the purpose you designed it. I can definitely see the possibilities. Great contribution. Regards, Allan
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-16-2006 22:16
Good job. I used my Grizzly dust collector. Just ran the output 4" tubing through the wall. I put the bags back on when I'm carving ivory and antler.
Parent - - By Nick J Date 11-29-2006 14:06
I finally purchased a fume extraction mig gun for welding galvanized tubing day in & out. I cussed it at first but wouldn't use anything else now.  I purchased a 180 amp fume extraction mig gun from welding-direct.com and converted the head to use tweco consumable parts.  The gun is about $280.  I have my wire feeder mounted overhead on a 20ft track to traverse a 24ft weld fixture.  I placed a shop-vac overhead, about midway of the track and ran a 2" hose x 10ft to the wirefeeder/gun hose connection.  I also connected an exhaust PVC pipe to the shop-vac and exhaust the smoke outside.  Using Argon/Co2 and welding at 170 amps appears to max out the 180 amp gun but the cool air flowing over the nozzle/tip area continuously cools the head.  It's so cool in fact, I cut my consumable parts purchases over 70%.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-29-2006 15:47
Sounds pretty slick Nick J, and I would imagine it will save on your lungs in short order and over the long run. From everything I hear a great number of us will possibly be investing in fume extraction guns and systems here in the near future. Regards, aevald
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 11-30-2006 01:50
Hey Nick J,
Out of curiosity and interest, I am wondering the effect of the cool air volume around the nozzle has on the argon/co2 gas flow and if it affects your weld bead. A shop vac, depending on rating, will draw quite a volume of air. Have you had to increase your cfh rate using your setup? Can you post a photo of your new MIG gun and setup? Thanks...Denny
Parent - By weldorguy (*) Date 12-24-2006 03:56
ya please man that sounds amazing... i know i hate welding galvinized but that would make it almost tollerable...
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / FUME EXTRACTION...