Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Requirements for Galv. materials
- - By BankerQC (*) Date 01-31-2001 17:54
We are starting a project using galvanized a36 base metals.
Does anyone know of any special requirements governing the use of same when using pre-qualified procedures IAW AWS D1.1.
We are using E70T-1 electrodes and welding galv. material to un-galv. as well as galv to galv. I have been unable to find any ref.'s in D1.1 '96.
Any info is appreciated.
BobC
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-06-2001 18:29
I've posted dozens of answers in this site saying that welding galvanized steel is not a "good engineering practice". However, if you definetely need to do it, here are some recommendations:
a) first of all, burn carefully with a torch the zinc coat located within 3 inches at either side of the weld bevel. In doing this, utmost care must be taken in order not to breath the poisonous yellow fumes (zinc oxyde) emitted. Use a mask and vent the fumes away.
b) Clean carefully the weld bevel with wire brush, either manually or using a motor driven one.
c) Apply the weld.
d) Once it's cool, apply a product called "cold galvanizing", following the manufacturer's instructions as to quantity and thickness of each hand. And here comes the "bad engineering practice". In fact, the so named "cold galvanizing product" doesn't galvanize anything at all. It's nothing else than a common paint rich in zinc powder, whose results can not be considered as a true galvanizing.
Anyway, if it suits you, go ahead and good luck.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
P.S. The good engineering practice says that galvanized structural steel should be joined by bolting, not welding.
Parent - - By - Date 02-06-2001 20:42
BankerQC,
Please heed Professor Crisi's advise, especially paragraph (a). It is very important that the galvanizing is burnt prior to brushing. It's been my experience that many times, welders will try and remove the galvanizing by grinding alone. This will not accomplish the necessary results.

Some years ago I had the opportunity to be involved with the first large galvanized structured chemical plant in mid-Michigan. During the project, pipefitters tried forming 3/4" U-bolts with galvanized rod (non-threaded). They would grind the area (complete circumference) of the rod to be heated then heat to about 1200 degrees or so and bend over a 6" NPS mandrel. The rods ALL would break with less then a 60 degree bend! They had not read my procedure for miscellaneous welding of the galvanized steel components which required not only a case by case authorization, but burning was the first step when allowed. I had the fitters follow the "burn first" paragraph of the procedure and required them to wire brush afterward. Literally hundreds of U-bolts were made after that simple change with NO failures. I had a fitter literally bend a scrap rod 360 degrees after the galvanizing burnt off and brushed prior to heating.

A secondary hazard whenever anybody wants to use a grinder rather then a brush is that the grinding stone or wheel becomes impregnated with zinc. Unless the wheel is changed and quarantined, zinc is inadvertantly carried into each weldment therafter and contaminates the joint. Zinc is insoluable in the molten weld puddle and can lead to centerline cracking.

Parent - By mbutler (*) Date 04-30-2001 17:54
Would the use of "Weld-through" primer, which contains zinc powder, cause a similar contamination of the weld? If so, is there any alternative for rust protection when the welded assembly conceals interior surfaces?
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-07-2001 19:02
Just a couple more pointers about worling with galvanized material:
Mr. Crisi is very right about staying away from the fumes when burning. The fumes will give you what we used to call "Galvanize Poison". The more fumes you breath the worse it gets. You'll become nautious, dizzy, and get a headache that will make you want to cut your head off. The thing to remember though is if you accidentally become affected, go drink a tall glass or two of milk. For some reason milk "cures" the symptoms.
To re-galvanize the weld area after weld completion "Cold-Gal" paint is a semi-effective option but "Galva-Bar" works better. "Galva-Bar" is basically a rod of zinc that you kind of braze on with a torch and wire brush. Any offshore oilfield supply house will carry it. To apply, you simply heat the base metal to the melting point of the zinc rod, smear it around the exposed steel area, then brush off the excess with a wire brush. Just don't over heat or "burn" it because it won't last as long. Be careful though because breathing the fumes will make you wish you had'nt.
Tim Gary
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 04-30-2001 20:47
I am curious here, what procedures do you use for the installation of decking or other light gauge-coated materials? This applies to any leaded or zinc coated materials.
Parent - By petethomas Date 05-01-2001 09:36
I personally find that the problem isn't given any consideration. With the new computer design software being used most gratings / decking need to be modified in situ. This means that welding of galvanized steel is unavoidable. This is not allowed under most of our company procedures, for H&S and not metallurgical reasons but I'm sure that all the associated problems have not been considered.
When you do have to apply a coating onto welded areas can I tell you what we use. I am not connected with either of these companies and I'm sure there will be similar products in the USA.
http://www.galvtech.com
http://www.metaflux.com
regards pete

Parent - By magodley (**) Date 05-01-2001 16:24
In the U.S, be sure you have read the OSHA Safety issues along with it's referenced sections. I'd like to see comments from some of the safety experts.
Parent - By Allen W. Sindel Date 05-19-2001 14:41
Welding over Galv material is not specifically addressed in the D1 Code. However, please note paragraph 5.15 for guidance. Essentially, any film which affects the quality of the weld must be removed.

All of the replies you received are good suggestions. AWS has issued a recommended practice on this subject which you might want to review. It is AWS D19.0-72.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Requirements for Galv. materials