Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Required NDE for structures
- - By BamaDave (**) Date 11-18-2006 17:31
Is there a document that drives the recommended amount of NDE that should be performed on new construction?  D1.1 has loads of requirements associated with testing procedures and acceptance standards, but no defining requirements for selection, visual only.  I understand the reasoning I'm just looking for a recommendation that have been documented to drive a potential requirement.

Thanks,

David
Parent - - By martinga Date 11-19-2006 06:16
David,

Checkout Sec 2.18, which states "Fatigue categories B and C require that the Engineer ensure that CJP groove welds subject to cyclic transverse applied stress into the tensile range be inspected using RT or UT." 

Otherwise, it is up to the Owner's Engineer to must specify any additional NDE required or requested by the design, local or national government government codes or Purchasers requirememts.

Regards,
Gary Martin
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 11-20-2006 14:28
on the west coast we are mostly a seismic zone 3. the building code is what gives use our ndt requirements for welds.
Parent - - By UCSB (**) Date 11-20-2006 16:57
Chapter 17 of the International Building Code gives the requirements for inspections for building construction. Although not listed in the IBC, the old Uniform Building Code section 1703 gave requirements for NDE. All full pene welds were 100% tested with UT or RT. If a rejection rate of less then 5% was acheived for an individual welder, the inspection rate could be dropped to 25% after the welder had welded at least 40 welds on the project.
Now it is left up to the Engineer of Record for the project.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 11-20-2006 17:35
was that just for moment frames
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 11-21-2006 16:36
All we do here is D1.1 structural steel.  Generally speaking, we go by the requirements of the job specs.  But also, even if not called for by job specs, if it is supposed to be CJP, we figure the requirement is for a reason so I UT all CJP welds (except when told we do not need to) within the D1.1 5/16" to 8" range, and even some slightly below that.  That is for own comfort of mind and to push the welders to maintain a higher quality performance.  We have not RTed any welds here since I have been here.  But to answer your question, within the context of new construction and D1.1, I am aware of no document except those noted above.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 11-21-2006 16:49
i was looking through d1.1 today and noticed 2.18 (06) requiring ut or rt for specific situations
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Required NDE for structures