Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welder qualification
- - By drifter57 (**) Date 11-29-2006 16:29
Hello, just wondering how other people handle welder qual.  Under 4.1.3.1 code basically says that if operator uses the process every 6 months that their quals stay good. There is nothing I have ever saw that lists amount of weld or time. So if you lay 3 inches of weld every 6 months your quals. stay good?? Example, we have machinists that have welder quals. so in order to keep them they want to weld some little part every 6 months. In my opinion that does not keep your skill level up. So  my only other option is (2) under 4.1.3.1????
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-29-2006 16:51
I don't believe there is a minimum length/amount specified drifter.  Your point is well taken but I think that part might need to be company specific.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-30-2006 12:03 Edited 11-30-2006 12:08
I agree with jon about adding a policy or statement to your quality manual to state the parameters (time frame and amount of welding you require your welders to perform) needed for a welder to remain qualified without retesting at your shop.

edit: what ever criteria you set up, you will want to have paperwork in the file on each of the welders to show that you are maintaining the continuity per your quality manual. I have a form where I sign off on saying that I've witnessed and can vouch for their continuity in the positions and processes qualified.
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 11-30-2006 23:49
For what it is worth, in our shop here we use FCAW almost exclusivley.  We have a select few individuals who are also certified for SMAW.  Since we use it infrequently, I can not justify recertifying these guys every year.  If we use SMAW, I make sure everyone certified gets his hand in there to weld something so I can keep their certs alive.  If not, we get some steel out of the scrap bin and weld it together to keep the certs alive.  I know the general skill level of the individuals involved and have no doubts they can deposit good welds when called upon.  I carry no borderline welders in this catagory.
Parent - - By drifter57 (**) Date 12-01-2006 14:21
thanks to everybody for your info. I think I will look at doing a procedure that will require a internal bend test be passed once a yesr.
Parent - - By Ram_ (*) Date 12-12-2006 17:50
One thing i would like to know is, is there such thing as qualifying welders and not have to turn in any information to register these welders? In other words, any CWI can perform the requirements and procedures to qualify a welder and fill out the forms, and not having to send recorded information to AWS? is there a document that describes such procedure for an inspector to follow?

Example; A QC supervisor is a CWI for a structural steel fab. shop. He gives the test to all the welding personnel. They pass. He fills out the paper work. An outside inspector shows for work on an assignment. The outside inspector asks for Welding Personnel certs. He sees them, and they have a CWI stamp on them, and everything is according to codes and specs on the certs. So the welders can now go to work.

It sounds to me, this is how it is done in many shops out there. Is the the CWI, regardless of who he/she works for, representing AWS and therefore can administer the test without having to report, or send recorded information of the tests, and results?

Thanks a bounch!
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-12-2006 18:08 Edited 12-12-2006 18:12
RAM_ the ONLY time a CWI would turn documents into AWS would be if the welder tested at an AWS Accredited Test Facility (ATF) under the auspices of the AWS Accredited Welder Program.  This Program, while widespread, has yet to "really" catch on in industry.  Ordinarily, whomever qualifies a welder completes a qualification form and that form becomes the property of the entity employing the welder.  Sometimes a company will provide copies to the welder but there are no rules requiring that they do so.  There are also no rules that I am aware of (with exception stated above) for the inspector to file any paperwork with any outside entity.  I hope this helps?

EDIT:  The CWI would only be representing the ATF if done at an ATF as mentioned above.  To the best of my knowledge a CWI NEVER represents AWS under any circumstances!  Likewise, no CWI's are authorized to speak on behalf of a Code Committee.  Whenever the word "interpretation" is used by an Inspector, it should only be implied to mean his or her own interpretation of what the code is stating... not that of AWS or any other Code body.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 12-12-2006 21:28
You certainly can do a "bend test" every year...however you still need to document the use of the welding process within 6 months to maintain continuity.
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 12-30-2006 03:16
If your welders are laying down good quality welds every six months ( 3 inches of good quality weld ) in your company's environment, and within your company's quality program, they are qualified by continuity per AWS D1.1.
The idea is to assure welder capability.
Best regards,
Vonash
Parent - - By cdsinc Date 02-26-2007 20:50
I have noticed a number of specifications out for bid with the following requirement "Submit manufacture's certificates certifying welders employed on the work have been AWS qualified within the previous 12 months". Does this mean qualified by testing or certification that the welder is still qualified because he or she has continued to weld in the same process and position since his or her original qualification test?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-26-2007 21:14 Edited 02-26-2007 21:20
CDsinc

That may be what it means, but thats not what it says  :)

Who knows what the actual intent of the author was?  Or if it is just boiler plate language copied from contract to contract.

Your text says  "...been AWS qualified within the last 12 months"

Lets assume "AWS qualified" means D1.1 (a big assumption I know)

Welder Process qualification continuity per D1.1 is only 6 months. So lets say one of your welders has not struck an arc in 7 months when he successfully passed a D1.1 welder qualification weld test... Per D1.1 that welder must retest in order to be qualified... But not by the language you provided. They may be qualified per contract, but not per D1.1

The language is either sloppy or intentionally vague.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-26-2007 23:04
it sounds to me like thay want your welder to pass an aws welder qual test within the last 12 months. this is very common on the west coast. some engineers don't like that a welder can pass a test 10 years ago and with continuity ( proof of welding once every six months) keep there welding cert current. this is also seen frequently as a requirement from the local municipality.
Parent - - By CSmalley (*) Date 03-14-2007 23:27
This is a good thread. I want to put a little twist on it. I do mainly field inspection in NC and often think I am grinding it pretty hard when I follow up on continuity by calling previous erectors a welder was employed by. I would like to know how often field inspectors run into 5-10 year old PQR's in other parts of the country and what they do when they see them. Thank you and keep up the good info.
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 03-15-2007 12:59
For me anyway, PQR's qualified 5 -10 years ago are not uncommon.  Although, some of the WPS's that are supported by these older PQR's have been revised, updated, or edited for clarity.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-18-2007 18:25
I've worked on a number of projects that required the welders to be qualified within the previous 12 months or to qualify on the job site in the presence of the CWI/SCWI that represents the owner. I like to see this requirement in contracts because neither AWS or ASME require the welders to have periodic eye exams. I hate to say how many times I've suggested that a welder in their mid-forties get his/her eyes checked after seeing some of their welds. It's even more surprising the number of welders that return wearing new eye glasses and produce good looking welds. They wouldn't consider getting their eyes checked if they did fail the welder qualification test first.

Another problem that on-site welder qualification testing can address are those WPTRs that are falsified. It also weeds out those welders that may weld once in a while, but may have gone several years without making any "real" welds. It is difficult, if not impossible to verify a field welder (that jumps from one contractor to another) has been welding without any interruptions. How do you really check for continuity?

Personally, I like the fillet break test. It separates the good welders from the bad at minimum cost and minimum time.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-18-2007 18:53
I have to agree with the eye site problem. One of the better welders I've seen in recent years qualified on my current project, but not before failing due to lack of a proper prescription. I could see him using proper technique, and basically displaying the knowledge of how to do everything right, but He couldn't see for chit. He was given the option after failing to get his eyes checked, and retest. After the new specs, he's been one of the best welders on site. I personally believe every welder should be required to keep a current eye cert. For there own good if nothing else. I would hate to think I could miss out on a contract because I couldn't see.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welder qualification