Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / eye protection requirements and recommendations
- - By jzink0883 Date 12-10-2006 22:53
Am I correct that clear-lens eye protection is acceptable when using an oxyacetylene torch? Shaded-lens eye protection is not required but it is recommended for "comfort"? My understanding is based on the eye protection table on page 7 of ANSI Z49.1:1999 and on page 28 of "Welder's Handbook" by Richard Finch where it is stated that "Oxyacetylene welding doesn't produce ultraviolet light, so it can't cause flash burns."

Thanks,

Joel Zink

Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-10-2006 23:49
It's bright enough to leave temporary bright/blind spots in your field of vision.

I can't count the times I've seen somebody quickly step away from an oxy-fuel operation only to trip or run into something because they were still seeing spots.

Shades are recommended for a good reason.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-11-2006 11:11
Joe,
OSHA requires a shade 3.0 or higher for using the oxy/fuel torch. During my last OSHA audit, I had one welder who normally wears his cutting glasses while using the torch, was trimming a clip angle to clear something, and the auditor told me that everyone using the cutting torch needed shade 3.0 or higher. I told him that was our policy whenever using the torch and there even happened to be a memo on the employee bulletin board stating this. He said he was going to have to write up a concern, because of this guy who used his torch in his presence without the shade 3.0 or higher, he just had clear safety glasses on. I was able to get the concern dropped, by showing our employee records where we had enforced this policy in the recent past and that I promised to speak to this employee.

I realize that the recommended lens chart in Z49.1 doesn't show a requirement for shade 3.0 or higher, but I would recommend using it. 

Edit: Z49.1:2005 is now free for download from the AWS site.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / eye protection requirements and recommendations