Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welder qualification data
- - By Ram_ (*) Date 12-12-2006 18:18
One thing i would like to know is, is there such thing as qualifying welders and not have to turn in any information to register these welders? In other words, any CWI can perform the requirements and procedures to qualify a welder and fill out the forms, and not having to send recorded information to AWS? is there a document that describes such procedure for an inspector to follow?

Example; A QC supervisor is a CWI for a structural steel fab. shop. He gives the test to all the welding personnel. They pass. He fills out the paper work. An outside inspector shows for work on an assignment. The outside inspector asks for Welding Personnel certs. He sees them, and they have a CWI stamp on them, and everything is according to codes and specs on the certs. So the welders can now go to work.

It sounds to me, this is how it is done in many shops out there. Is the the CWI, regardless of who he/she works for, representing AWS and therefore can administer the test without having to report, or send recorded information of the tests, and results?

Thanks a bounch!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-12-2006 18:40 Edited 12-12-2006 18:43
Ram,

If your talking about an AWS code than a CWI is only suggested. They are not a requirement to observe and evaluate welder performance qualification testing.

AWS D1.1 Section 6.1.4.1  Basis for Qualification for inspectors provides a good frame of reference.

If the code you are currently working to is published by AWS (D1.1 for example) there is an annex in the back that provides some examples of how your paperwork might look if it were code compliant.

Contractors, customers or localaties may require an AWS CWI but the code itself does not.

I do not believe AWS CWI's    "represent"  the AWS in the sense that you are trying to communicate.  This is also made clear in D1.1 section 6.1  Scope
Parent - - By Ram_ (*) Date 12-12-2006 19:50
Yes, let's say our base is AWS D1.1 and that the specifications call out to have welders certify to a prequalified welding procedure that has been accepted by the owner, contractor, and engineer.

The CWI give a test to the welders. The welders pass. The inspector fills out the appropriate documents. IS THE CWI REQUIRED TO FILE OR SEND INFORMATION TO AWS?

thanks.
Parent - - By R. Johnson (**) Date 12-12-2006 20:02
NO
Parent - - By Ram_ (*) Date 12-12-2006 20:40 Edited 12-12-2006 21:08
Gentlemen,

I am going to take this one step further to show you an observation.

According to AWS D1.1 welders can have a "performance qualification" under Qualification Section.

According to Aws QC7-93 Standard for AWS Certified Welders. The welders must be certified through an accredited testing facility by a CWI. In this case, proof of testing does have to be submitted. (this standard can be viewed under Cerifications/Documents online)

There are some major differences between the two, but in the end, both will provide a welder qualification record, that when submitted to an Inspector, he/ she will look for specific information, and accept it.

Has anyone been confronted by this, and being a CWI, which of the two, do you follow?
Am I missing something, or stepping on some loose sand?
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-12-2006 20:58
Ram_ I can only speak for myself but I will not accept a QC-7 cert in my shop.  However, that said, there are some AWS Standards that are now beginning to recognize QC-7.  To the best of my knowledge D1.1 does not openly accept this type certification but may leave it to the Engineer's discretion should he/she wish to do so.

I have raised concerns at the very highest levels of AWS Staff and Volunteer Committee level about the validity of QC-7 but as I said there are now AWS Standards which are beginning to recognize the cert.  Don't quote me, but I believe D14 is among the first.
Parent - By BamaDave (**) Date 01-11-2007 07:45
RAM_,
AWS QC7-93 is a standard and unless it is specifically spelled out in a specification for a particular project it should not be considered.  That is my opinion regarding this standard.  I remember when AWS began to develop this standard and in many cases you could be hard pressed to find an accredited testing facility in your area.  Regardless, it all boils down to what is detailed in the project specification.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welder qualification data