Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat input measurement for strip cladding
- - By defaced (**) Date 12-13-2006 04:28
Is there a standard for measuring heat input for a strip cladding operation?  If so, what is that standard? 
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 12-13-2006 20:42
It is the same as any other welding process (VXAX60/travel speed in IPM) except that it is usually devided by the width as well so it is reported in "Joules/sq in" or "Joules/sq cm".
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-13-2006 20:49
Greg, are you using the strip clad process at your work now?  We are just inprocess of buying a Euroweld system and I am totally unfamiliar with the process, just wondering how your success is / has been?
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 12-15-2006 00:07
We just bought a BTW system, and will be starting soon with either SAW or ESW strip cladding depending if our customer will let us use ESW over the specified SAW.  Hopefully we will know soon so we can get the show on the road.  We are also in the process of doing a ESW butt joint qualification on another system we just purchased.  Interesting stuff.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-26-2006 19:11
Greg;

I think you've mentioned your company does ASME Section III (Nuclear) work?  I might be confused on this simply knowing you have an excellent working knowledge of ASME so forgive me if I'm mistaken.

In any case, I am working with ASME Section III, Class 1 and am looking into applying 60 x 1.6mm strip cladding in some of our applications.  The Code states a heat input limitation of 150KJ/in, which I'm equally sure we'll exceed.  Have you run PQR's for strip cladding at your company and, if so, what typical heat inputs have you seen?  If you're an ASME Shop, have you noticed these restrictions?
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 12-28-2006 03:17
I actually just changed jobs.  The company I switched to does do a small amount of nuke work (as well as my previous company), but I don't have a Section III available right now.  I haven't seen that any ASME sections if they have a heat input limit, would address the difference between strip and wire as far as heat input. (Kj/in vs kJ/sq While I haven't had a chance to qualify our strip cladding yet, from what I have seen the main differnce between high and low heat input is the thickness that the cladding ends up.  If you have to keep a high travel speed to keep the heat input down, you may have to do more layers.  But if you double the travel speed, and do 2 layers instead of one, for instance, the weld time is the same, so strip cladding can still pay off.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 12-28-2006 03:19
I actually just changed jobs.  The company I switched to does do a small amount of nuke work (as well as my previous company), but I don't have a Section III available right now.  I haven't seen that any ASME sections if they have a heat input limit, would address the difference between strip and wire as far as heat input. (kJ/in vs kJ/sq in) When I do complete my strip cladding application, it will be for structural (D1.1/D1.5), so I haven't really had the need to look either.  While I haven't had a chance to qualify our strip cladding yet, from what I have seen the main difference between high and low heat input is the thickness that the cladding ends up.  If you have to keep a high travel speed to keep the heat input down, you may have to do more layers.  But if you double the travel speed, and do 2 layers instead of one, for instance, the weld time is the same, so strip cladding can still pay off. 
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-28-2006 12:45
Thanks Greg, makes sense to me and congratulations(?) on starting a new job. 

At the end of the day, I have to deposit 0.375" of cladding, one layer 309L, following layer 308L.  This will be deposited onto very thick plate and the finish machined.  I'm thinking with the strips we're intending to use; 1/16" thick by 60mm wide we should have no problem getting our required thickness in 2 layers and still keeping a "reasonable" travel speed.  Still, ASME III does have this 150Kj/in maximum and I think because of the necessary current we may be close to, if not exceeding that heat input...

Hope your New Year is smooth and prosperous.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-27-2006 15:02 Edited 12-27-2006 15:07
I've seen a method used in France that was used for the stainless cladding of reactor heads. It was the first time I had ever seen this, and found it very interesting. In the 70's there were some companies in the US that performed this operation such as combustion engineering. Im no expert, but what I seen worked fantastic. If you need help, I suggest you look up one of those old flatulents on a consultant basis. As for heat input, you can in fact meet those requirements, but from what I've seen, it's a finally tuned operation, your going to be running just under all the way if I gathered my data correctly when I witnessed this process.

P.s> The method used was on Combustion Engineering hardware, If your looking for one of these guys, look in the chattanooga Tn area, or Erie Penn.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-04-2007 17:36
I believe Euroweld has one of those old CE guys working with them on their strip cladding technology.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-04-2007 18:44
Dunno whether that Euroweld guy is an old CE guy or not but he's gonna be here at my shop next Thursday chatting with us.  I've known him for a few years but don't know about CE reference... he definately knows his stuff when it comes to strip cladding though!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat input measurement for strip cladding