Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.8 welder cert requirements
- - By thcqci (***) Date 12-16-2006 14:22
AWS D1.8, 5.1.1 says that a welder would need to be certified if all 3 requirements are involved.  We shop fabricate steel, not field weld, and we do not weld any beams to a column flanges that are like a moment connection (to this point anyway).  We have welded plates on the end of beams that will be bolted to the column during erection that is essentially the same design and that may meet the other two requirements at some point in time.  Does anyone have feedback to say whether this constitutes the same condition as welding a beam to a column or is it exempted since it will be a field bolted connection?  We have done a few jobs here that had some seismic influence, but are coming up on a structure that will be full blown seismic.  Don't know if there will be any Demand Critical welds in the design since I have not seen any fabrication drawings. Don't believe anyone on our end has enough knowledge to answer the question.  Trying not to open Pandora's box with jurisdictional inspectors if not required, but want to be sure to be covered if it is required.
Parent - - By steelstructures Date 12-20-2006 16:41
Because your shop welders do not have the difficulty of welding through the access hole in the beam web at the bottom flange, they are not required to be qualified under the test described in AWS D1.8, section 5.1.1. If the connection you describe is considered an extended end-plate moment connection (see AISC 358 standard on prequalified connections), no access hole is to be used, and the welds between the beam and the end plate are deemed demand critical.
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 12-28-2006 14:00
Thanks for your reply.  I will contact you directly since I have other seismic questions.  Welcome to the forum.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.8 welder cert requirements