Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding career questions (locked)
- - By ddrisco (*) Date 12-17-2006 23:14
Hello,
I'm thinking of a career switch, I currently have a masters degree in marine science and can't find work, I do weld  and like it a lot and was thinking I would get certified and start an new career, one question, I am looking to get into a union casue I have heard thats where you can make 50-80K a year, What do you folks think,? 
thanks
Damien
Parent - - By medicinehawk (**) Date 12-18-2006 09:37
You don't need to be in a union to make 50-80K a year. IF you are in or around the water, there are alot of businesses which use the welding craft and you do not necessarily have to be certified. Most jobs which pay what you mentioned will require you to travel some unless you get lucky. IF you can get into a union, you'll be all set, but getting your foot in the door maybe the hard part from what I have heard.
Parent - - By ddrisco (*) Date 12-18-2006 16:57
A friend of my folks owns an iron works comp, so maybe I could get in there, just one problem I am afraid of heights, rather be 200 feet down (water) then 200 feet UP.. thanks for the insight.
cheers
Damien
Parent - By Aldridge6670 (*) Date 01-04-2007 12:45
I'm a high school grad  thats it  well besides the blood sweat and tears  I fab/weld  non union and make 50k + a year  no heights,home everynight hardly any weekends.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding career questions (locked)