Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / TIG, Base Metal pre-heating
- - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 12-20-2006 21:21
hellow, I want to Know, if Base metal pre-heating in TIG process is necessary , and which materials need it.
thank you
Parent - - By vcevidente (*) Date 12-21-2006 00:17
pre-heating is always indicated on your WPS. Pre-heating is always necessary.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-22-2006 11:21
vcevidente,
With all due respect , pre heat is not always required. TIG welding is commonly used on thinner materials that do not require preheat.
The original question was too vague to be able to be properly answered by anyone on this forum,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-23-2006 19:27
Good reply. The base metal composition or specification and thickness must be known before you determine if preheat is required. The preheat temperatures listed in D1.1 are the minimum preheat temperatures if the WPS is prequalified. While GTAW is listed as an approved welding process, I don't believe GTAW is one of the processes that qualifies as "prequalified" under D1.1. See reference 3.2.1 (I used AWS D1.1-2002). As such, the preheat temperature used to qualify the WPS comes into play.

Happy holidays and Merry Christmas
- One Wing, Al
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-24-2006 03:48
I know some aerospace types that would have a coronary if someone told them preheating was always necessary.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / TIG, Base Metal pre-heating