Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / set up of welder on truck
- - By bctwelding Date 12-25-2006 23:04 Edited 12-25-2006 23:11
Hello, I can use some help understanding how to set up my welder on my newly fabricated flatbed. It is on a 1989 Dodge 1ton that I have set up with adapters to make it into a dually 1ton. My question is about how to set up the welder so that I can weld on the flatbed of the truck without ruining my welder. I have had people tell me to insulate the positive lead, I don't understand how or why that would work to protect the welder. I sure would appreciate some input here. Merry Christmas and Thanks in advance, Barry
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 12-26-2006 00:25
You don't need to insulate anything.  Bolt it down and go crazy!
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 12-30-2006 02:30
Hey Barry,
I believe your truck may be safe to use the vehicle's frame as a ground since you will have your welder bolted to it. Most vehicles prior to '90 don't have the massive computer controls integrated in the circuitry. I do know that the newer vehicles with all the computer garbage on them will have a problem if you use the frame ground while welding. Play it safe and check with a dealer. You won't hurt your welder....you'll fry your truck's electronics. I did a job for a guy on his truck, and there was a warning to totally disconnect the battery and insulate the cables prior to any welding on the vehicle. Just a note so you don't run into any problems.....Denny
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-30-2006 04:37
I've always run a constant ground to my bed and never had a problem. However, I did fry my hot lead once because the insulation wore out on the inside of my reel. I was wondering why my machine never kicked down to low idle- DUH!!
Parent - By bctwelding Date 01-02-2007 03:04
sourdough, I do plan on using the constant ground too. I have a perkins diesel engine in my welder that has no idle down feature. The newer version of this model the pro 300 does have that and some day I may upgrade. I've got to get my first welding rig finished and make some money first. Later .....Barry
Parent - - By bctwelding Date 01-02-2007 02:46
Thanks for the tip Denny,You mentioned insulating the cables on the truck you were welding/working on.Thay would be the positive and negative to the battery on customers vehicle, correct me if I'm wrong. The owners manual for this big blue 300 does show the machine being welded to the truck bed. So I must ask why have I heard time and again that roll outs on a welding rig needs to have the positive lead insulated from the rig? Barry
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 01-02-2007 17:35 Edited 01-02-2007 17:42
Damned if I can grasp what you mean by "insulating the positive lead". That lead should always and under all conditions be insulated until you stick an electrode in it.

What has the battery leads got to do with the welding leads?

As already stated Some folks worry about sensitive electronics and remove the battery ground when they ground (welding ground) to their truck bed. Same applys to customers vehicle.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-03-2007 08:40
If you weld something that is electrically connected to your truck (for example in a vise mounted on the bed) whether the work lead is connected to the work or to the truck, it is exactly the same as though you were welding on the truck itself.  If you feel that welding on a vehicle endangers the electronics of the vehicle (owners manual should be your guide) then you should take whatever precautions are recommended to protect your warranty.

If the welding generator is isolated from the frame of the machine (machine off, ohmmeter between either cable and the machine frame should read infinite) then the truck isn't involved as long as the cable insulation is good and the work doesn't touch the truck.
Bill
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 01-03-2007 18:55
Thanks Bill....Denny
Parent - - By bctwelding Date 01-04-2007 05:00
I believe Joe has it right. Bolt it down and go to welding. I appreciate the input from all, I've been welding on this truck for 20 hours and all is well.   Barry
Parent - By ormcjmh Date 01-17-2007 11:41
If you still concerned attach a drag to your frame and it will lessen the loud on your electronics by channeling   the energy to the earth, this seems to work well on newer vehicles. Some are attaching airbags between frame and bed and nylon stabilizers also makes for a smoother ride since the weight from your rig isn't doubling the jar of dirt roads and bad interstates.  
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 01-17-2007 16:14
If you follow the electrical thinking, I was told that if ground has no way of finding earth there is no purpouse in hooking it up . Unless you run a lead into the dirt from the frame of the truck.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / set up of welder on truck