Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / no respect (locked)
- - By darren (***) Date 12-28-2006 10:51
Why does it seem like the less skilled/talented a person is the more they think it's their right to not clean up after themselves. It's like the less respect they receive in their personal life the less respect they show the shop, gobbing on the floor and cables (hello pathogens), leaving their coffee cups/drink containers around. Getting them to clean up is next to impossible, worse than getting a teenager to clean their room. Then they act like you're the problem for asking them to be responsible for their mess. The first thing they should teach at welding school is how to properly wrap up a cord. It amazes me the amount of time I spend cleaning up or repairing abused equipment after apprentices, or after the personality disorder poster children who brag about their lifetime of mediocrity, just so I can do my job. Just venting but man does it get frustrating trying to get guys to show a little self and mutual respect.
Not only are we having a harder and harder time getting decent qualified trade's people, but we are having an even harder time getting decent human beings. 
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 12-28-2006 12:17
It all goes back to how you've been raised.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-28-2006 14:22
It also has to do with pride, or lack of it.  Some folks are willing to carry a job through to completion, which includes cleaning up.

One test facility I know of will not give out test results until the welder has cleaned up his/her mess.  What is sad about that is that it needed to be spelled out in the rules.
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 12-28-2006 17:47
Much of it goes back to what is acceptable in the shop they are in.  I have been in shops where every trash can is overflowing, the floors are 1/4" dust, every work station that has flash curtains has holes and rips.  The attitude among the people is "Well Jonny doesn't care, why should I"  And as we know negativity breeds negativity.  It's up to those of us who care and the leaders of an operation to hold these careless people accountable and remove those individuals that fail to meet expectations.  An area that is messy and not organized also increases the potential for injuries.  If the leaders of an operation don't take the time to keep up a well organized clean work environment will eventually pay for it with unnecessary injuries, fires, even lost time injuries.  I guess the insurance companies like it though.

Just my .02 for what it's worth.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-29-2006 03:03
I applied for a job as a fabrication manager in a fab shop a number of years ago. The owner asked, "What is the first thing you will do on your first day on the job if I give you the position?"

I told him I would give everyone a broom and shovel to clean the shop from top to bottom including the yard and parking area! Anyone that balked or refused would get their last paycheck. I got the job.

Happy New Year everyone.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-29-2006 04:50
Go up to the persons work table, jump up there, drop trow, and "eliminate" right in the middle of his current project. Guaranty he wont be a slob around you anymore! In fact, you wont have to worry about elbow room anymore!!   -Sourpuss
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 12-30-2006 23:09
All good or bad in all organizations falls on the quality of the leadership. 

In this instance, as in most, the solution is to make the standards clear, fire the workers that are not performing acceptably, and pay enough to attract and retain a good well-disciplined crew.

Unfortunately the only likely solution for a good worker working in a place with ineffective leaders is to move elsewhere.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 12-30-2006 23:39
I think that you have said what i needed to hear from someone who has no stake in the situation.
Thanks
Darren
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-31-2006 02:30
It blows my mind how many people are just not worth a sh*t in this world and like someone said it all leads back to how they were raised. I'm 27 and my father has always been strict about clean up your work place never leave it trashy show up on time and thats really all you gotta do to keep a job. If you can't weld very good but you show up on time and work hard that is what really counts in my book. I'm still in school for welding and I have worked for two different companys. (not to brag) I can't tell you how much they have bragged about me to my teacher it feels great because then i know that my teacher will put a good recomendation in for me wherever i may work and not only that it just feels good to do a good job for someone. The guy I am working for now comes in the morning and says do yall have enough material and we say yep and we won't see him until the next day and I've only worked for the guy for a week. I start to think about how sad it is about some people then I think awsome more work for me.

Chris
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-31-2006 05:25
Hey bud, let me be the first to tell you that you aren't the first  guy that thinks most people suck. It took me so much time to actually except the fact that I was actually a leader, not a follower.
You can't think that most people are out to get you, because it just isn't true. The fact is that if you let them in, they have a chance at getting to you in a detrimental way. If you set your pace as a fella that wants to learn it, you will! This welding field is afire, right now. Forget those people who hold you back. With all probability, they will be trying to sell Kirby vacuem units while you're making 100,000 bucks a year!
If you are working in a shop right now, learn everything you possibly can, then think about going somewhere that you can learn even more!
The welding field is a sure bet to take you to financial security, if not more!

Take care my brother, and stay connected to this site! It will answer many of your questions!!
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-31-2006 07:32
I'm in a shop now building hand rails for stairs.. it's just a part time job for a month or so till school starts back up. I've learnd alot but I'd have to say it isn't for me I like stick and tig welding pipe more. I know it doesn't make sense but I don't know i guess I like going round and round all day instead of building all this stuff but it's cool I'm learning.
I have learned so much from you guys and the guys over at the Miller forum this is like my second schooling here. Thanks
Chris
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-31-2006 08:20
No sweat, come here when you need some advise!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / no respect (locked)