Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Duty cycle question...20% at max, what about a lower setting (locked)
- - By joerocker Date 12-30-2006 20:17
I have a AC225 (tombstone) that I received from my son.  I've never welded, he gave me "Welding Essentials" and I want to practice before I need to weld something. 

Anyway...it says 20% duty cycle, 2 minutes welding, 8 minutes resting.  Is that ONLY at max power (225 amps)?  If I were to set it to something like 70 amps to "draw lines" on some steel, could I up the duty cycle?  To what?  Almost continuous?

Thanks...
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-30-2006 20:29
Joe

No worries.  Your estimate is very good.  Up to about 120 amps (normal for 1/8 inch E7018) You can run your buzz box pretty much continuously.

If you really think about it, it's hard to run anything close to 100% dudy cycle with SMAW anyhow. With changing electrodes and chippin slag and all that.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-31-2006 02:18
Joe, dont even worry about that "duty cycle"! Do your best, if you're a hobby welder it wont effect you. Any time you're welding, and all of a sudden your weld is getting real wierd, that's when to stop. You're not going to hurt the machine by doing this. Have fun, and learn a bunch!!
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-31-2006 07:42
You would be surprised how seldom you will actually weld for 20% of the time.  Just replacing electrodes takes something off.  And then there will be a clamp in the way, something that needs a clamp, have to reposition yourself, etc.  If you stop to look at what you just did (practicing) you will never get to 20% and as you said lower settings generally increase duty cycle, so does starting with a cold machine for the first cycle or two.  Have fun.
Bill
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-31-2006 22:04
Actual duty cycle = ((rated amperage/actual amperage) squared) times rated duty cycle

Example: 200 amp machine rated at 20% duty cycle. You will be welding with 150 amps, what is the duty cycle at 150 amps?

actual duty cycle = (200 amps/150 amps) squared times 20% = (1.333 times 1.333) times 20% = 1.778 times 20% = about 35% duty cycle

You can weld for three and a half minutes at 150 amps out of every 10 minute cycle without overheating the transformer and destroying the machine.

Happy New Year!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 01-01-2007 14:12
Also, just to add to the above, almost all machines have a thermal cut-out that will operate to stop your welding if you exceed the duty cycle for any length of time, and after the transfomer cools, can be re-set (or will re-set automatically). See your manual on this, and weld with no fear!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Duty cycle question...20% at max, what about a lower setting (locked)