Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / LP Inspection overlap
- - By Bulldog-99 (*) Date 01-03-2007 19:43
I am looking for what AWS typically suggests for the penetrant overlap when performing LP inspections.  I do not need the acceptance criteria but, how far on each side of the weld (distance from the fusion line) that LP is applied to ensure that the weld and adjacent base material (HAZ) is in the inspection zone.  We typically use ASME section III requirements for our fabrication and inspection.  ASME suggests a 1/2 inch but, in this application we are fabricating to AWS.  This is for stuctural applications (I could not find it in D1.1 or ASTM E-165) not piping or pressure boundry.   Any help is welcome.

Thanks,

Bulldog
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 01-03-2007 21:17
astm e165 doese not say anything about overlap or coverage area. using the asme for a guideline should work. if nothing else is mentioned in the job specs or or code.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-05-2007 03:24
What does your penetrant procedure say? You are performing the PT in accordance with a procedure, right?

Al
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 01-05-2007 14:23
Good point Al.  I was going to mention that also.  The procedure SHOULD specify.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-11-2007 03:59
Any shop that produces ASME III pre service nuclear work should have an LP/PT procedure. typically it's a half inch on either side of the weld for nuclear, with cleaning to 1 inch either side. However I have a question for you, I looked to ASME V article 6, and don't see a recommendation? If you could point out where the recommendation is I'd like to know just for my personnel knowledge.
I believe your question in regards to AWS would probably just be your standard procedure for LP weld inspection.
Parent - By Bulldog-99 (*) Date 01-11-2007 16:36
CWI555,

In my case the componet is a non-pressure boundary component.  That said we apply the LP acceptance criteria of Section III NG 5350 and state that the fabrication shall be per AWS D1.1.  If the component was fabricated to NG and not just the acceptance standard applied then, the LP application section would be Section III NG-5130 and NG-5233.  I hope this helps.  In our case it turns out that the LP procedure did not include the extent of examination section.  The reason the vendor gave for it not being there was that D1.1 and E-165 was silent on the issue.  They have since revised the procedure to clarify the 1/2 inch on either side of the weld and be more in line with typical industry use.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Bulldog   
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / LP Inspection overlap