Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Material Test Reports request
- - By Ram_ (*) Date 01-03-2007 23:11
Hello everyone,
I am trying to find information regarding the request for MTRs when inspection structural steel. Is anyone familiar as to where, and which grades of steel are we supposed to ask for Material test reports. Sorry, just not having too much luck finding the info. Thanks for shining some light.
Happy New Year to all.
Ram_
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 01-03-2007 23:17
try the job specs
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-03-2007 23:25
Hi Ram_,
Whenever someone purchases material to be used on a customer's job, they need to purchase material that will meet the customer's written specifications. The purchaser of this material requests the supplier to also supply MTRs along with the material to show the customer as documentation that the material purchased to be used on their job is in fact the material that they specified. As an inspector working for the customer(you didn't state your position in this so I was assuming that you could be representing a customer), you can request a copy of these MTRs to match up with the material being used on the customer's job and that is generally done with a heat number or some tracking method set up by the fabricator to maintain traceability back to those MTRs.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-04-2007 17:39
You might want to look at section 3 of D1.1; Table 3.1 lists the ASTM designations of steels commonly used for structural applications.

AISC's Code of Standard Practice (which I think is still available on the aisc.org website as a free download) explains who has responsibility for what.  If you are involved with structural steel as a the owner, the steel supplier, the fabricator, the erector, the painter, or the inspector, you really ought to read through that.
As was advised by John and hogan, the contract should specify which materials are to be used.
Parent - - By Ram_ (*) Date 01-05-2007 20:52
Thanks for all the info.
Best wishes for 2007!
Ram_
Parent - - By Ram_ (*) Date 01-05-2007 21:57
Aside from requirements of documentation, does anyone know, if in fact, UT should only be done if required by the specs, and contract documents? Or is there some place in the book that says UT has to be done to a CP weld regardless if it is not in the contract documents?
thanks.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-05-2007 22:11
I have it written in my quality manual to give me a reasonable degree of comfort knowing that what goes out the door is OK and we won't be getting a bill from the erector for having to repair a full pen weld that came out of our shop, but I know of other companies that if the spec doesn't call for it, they simply won't do it.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 01-05-2007 22:50
most of the larger engineering firms ( that i work with) always put a line in the general notes that all cjp welds are to be ut'd. there are some requirements for seismic zone 3 and 4 that all moment frame cjp welds be ut'd.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Material Test Reports request