Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / welding jobs
- - By dathan_gotham Date 01-05-2007 17:35
hello,  im dathan, and i have been welding for a few years, just graduating top class mastor welding program for structual, pipe, and alloy gtaw, gmaw, and smaw. i have been working at a few shops for the few years experience i have, some jobs we travelled and stayed in motels and such. what i want to ask is,  should i be pressing on about getting a new job, and moving up in my skills with pipe welding, or stay around i na shop barley getting by... pay check to pay check. i could use some help with motovation and maybe a path to get on, im a great welder and possess lots of growth., but im stuck here in fl at a shop barley making any money and its getting old!   i was working in shops beofre school and now that im done with school im still in a shop.

not only can i weld but machining, mechanics other skills i have accuried over time.  i just want a shot.  what should i do?  thanks guys. 

ps.  lol   im looking at pipeline jobs in canada, alaska, working 40- 80 hour weeks 
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 01-05-2007 18:51
Hey dathan,
I will offer my opinion and suggestions...nothing more...nothing less. My words are not to sound demeaning, harsh or cruel.....Only fact and an absolute.

If you have a love for welding, a desire to get better each day, look forward to going to work, and make a good living......the answer lies within....YOU!  If you're stuck in a job you don't like...move on. There is a multitude of avenues you can pursue and only you can pursue them. You're not stuck anywhere....unless YOU choose to stay stuck. If you don't have the passion to be a proficient welder, the constant awareness that work is available, the hunger to learn.....YOU will be stuck! It is YOU who makes your own pathways and rewards traveling this superhighway of life. Whining and crying and asking for advice shows low self esteem and really all you need is #10 boot in the behind to GET GOIN' and make it on your own. No one owes you anything....only YOU. Take a minute some evening and look in the mirror.....WHO DO YOU SEE? WHAT DOES HE WANT?  Then answer the person you see.

Dathan, I worked so many occupations, a resume doesn't have enough pages. Never stopped welding though. Walked in many shoes.....none fit as good as my welding steel toes. I learned many facets of production and factory manufacturing and they all enhanced my welding abilities and my wallet. When I felt it was time to move on.....I moved on....never looked back...only forward.

We make choices and decisions for our lives and must accept the results of those choices and decisions. That is what makes this country and the men who fabricated and created all we have so great. If you want a shot.....you gotta load it yourself........Denny
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-05-2007 18:56
Denny, truer words were seldom spoken.  I have never had an occupation outside of welding but one things for sure, if a job began grating my nerves I never let it get the best of me... there's tons of work out there for great welders... if lack of motivation is the issue maybe this person is in the wrong profession?  There's very few things amout our field that are "gimmes."
Parent - - By dathan_gotham Date 01-05-2007 22:08
yes yes, you are right. i know i am the one that can get the ball rolling. a #10 in the butt is what i need, a look in the mirror!  yes, all true.  i have great motivation,  just not sure which direction to go in....   thanks for the boost, and the heart behind your words!  i love hte shop in at, but its not enough. i want to learn more, and get out there and experience more....  thats all. thank you. dathan
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-06-2007 00:29
Hello datham, you have received some very important insights from the respondents to your post. From what I think I have understood from your posts here, I believe that you do have a genuine interest in the trade. Your comments regarding your current job do not sound very positive, even though you may feel as though this is a dead end or that you are spinning your wheels I would venture to guess that there is still plenty that can be learned from your current employer, some good and possibly some bad. There have been many post on the forum here regarding similar situations for individuals in similar circumstances to yourself. Many of the folks on the forum have stated in different ways that when an individual stops learning and progressing to learn in a particular position, that is the time to find something else. In essence there is so much to learn in this trade that no individual person will ever come close to knowing it all, that's part of what generally keeps it so interesting. As had been suggested to you, you will be responsible for going out and making your mark in the trade. There can be many reasons for not following a particular path when you are looking at your options: current financial situation, personal involvements (family and otherwise), just plain being scared to take the plunge and venture out away from your personal safety zone. Whatever you decide on, it is definitely something that you have to put a 100% effort into in order for it to pay off for you. Attitude and effort will be two of many very important traits that will decide a lot of your future for you. I would say that if you can concentrate on the positives of any situation you will learn far more from that than the reverse. So, as the other fellas told you, get off your duff and get busy, there's plenty to do. Good luck and regards, aevald
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-06-2007 02:17 Edited 01-06-2007 02:22
dathan, check out the following:

http://www.monster.com
http://www.roadtechs.com
http://www.rigzone.com
http://www.careerbuilder.com

Don't be afraid to seek out new adventures, take a hard look then hit the road!

Buy some self study books, like Lincolns Handbook on Arc Welding, AWS Welding Handbooks, and a host of others, read, read, read and the read some more, ask questions, visit this site often for advice!  Check the "New Products" section in the Welding Journal and send for free information.  There are many avenues to learn and not all cost money!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for!

P/S: Don't forget to check the AWS JobFind servce too.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-06-2007 21:42
If you are willing to travel and have some welding skills, almost any tank erection company is hurting for welders. They will start you out on a grinder and running Jet on lap welds. Then move you into the LH process. It aint schiney work like pipelining, but breaking out as a pipeliner will take 3-4 years. A tankie welder can go from bullganger to welder in less than a year. Pay range is $17 - 24 depending on welding ability, with $50-90 per sub. This is not an easy life.
If you have alochol, or women problems, hate having the responsibility of being somewhere all the time, and want to make some decent coin to weld, then you should do pretty well in this line of work. And it gets in your blood.
Tanco Engineering, Longmont Colorado, Matrix Services, Tulsa OK, HMT Tank Services Beaumont Texas. Get their numbers off their websites and call asking for the welding boss. Tell them you are a welder looking for a job. You will have to be drug free, so while they take drunks and pervs, no dopers.
Parent - - By dathan_gotham Date 01-08-2007 19:38
thanks again for the advise! i will check out the road for jobs....   thats what i went to school for. pipe welding, or structual. i have women problems, and that helps me work harder!!!  lol     and the money is tight for now.  im saving trying to get my truck in shape for travel!  i think im  alittle chiken to get out there in the big feild! thats all,  but i have courage. and ill do fine. ill have to check out those web sites another time. my time is running out on the internet.... thanks
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 01-09-2007 01:22
Hey dathan,
Listen, the gents here have sound advice, always willing to help, and try to provide insight and promote a lifestyle we chose and enjoy. Some are cut out for it and others are not.....only you can search for your true endeavor for your life. We "old-timers" all know what it is to struggle when starting out on the road to pursue a career and the sacrifices that have to made at times. If you have strength of character, and your words indicate you do, you will get there...some bumps along the way, a couple detours, but the road does get smooth for the eventual "cruisin". You gotta hang in there.....even if it's a bit rough, but you will find the rewards for your efforts.

Being "chicken" is natural....nothing to be ashamed of. The unknown always brings out a bit of the "chicken" in all of us. Anyone who say different is not being truthful.

Women problems are another matter...another realm one has to deal with. Also takes courage. If you're married, then a compromise may be the best route to get started. If not married......BOOGIE!!!!!! GET MOVIN'!!!!

Ok, youngster.....you keep in touch with us here and let us know how you are doing.....Good Luck....Denny
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-09-2007 04:26
Your response is pathetic, and does not offer encouragement to a person interested welding for a living; especially on the road. Responsibility, for whatever, is the sign of a professional.

Please explain what "schiney work like pipelining" is; and, how did you determine that it will take 3-4 years to "break out as a pipeliner"? Isn't advancement based on ability?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-09-2007 17:59 Edited 01-09-2007 20:50
I know that sometimes I can be sensitive to some of the things said in the forum but then again, so can all of us at sometime or another...

However, to call someone's comments "pathetic" is a bit going over the top as others will agree with.

If anything, why do'nt we all establish an agreement to disagree without calling each other names because, without showing any respect for another person's views - whether you agree with them or not, is alot worse of an example being shown towards this individual that's only here to seek advice & wisdom, and not to be drawn into a disagreement that becomes personal as a result of one party insulting the other.

Why do I say this? Because from practicing honor & mutual respect among other qualities are some of the best ways to develop responsibility!

If anyone knows about life being too short too waste a considerable amount of time in arguing over stuff that's just that - stuff!!! It's me!!!

After going through the trauma of being assaulted back in 1986, and barely surviving only to find out years later that I was infected with a deadly virus because of the blood transfusions I recieved back in 1986 - I learned how sometimes life just plain is'nt fair and that's just reality!!! Then to go through some more anxiety & aggrevation of waitng 4 years for the "Gift of Life"because I did'nt respond to treatment, really started to put things into perspective about life being so short... Once I recieved the Liver Transplant, I became genuinely grateful to be alive and wondered why I was given a second chance...

I soon discovered that I was kept here on this earth to help others as an example even though I did'nt think I was worthy of it and in all honesty - I was'nt sure that I could be a good example at all.
My saving grace was my mother's encouragement of at least giving it my best shot so to speak...
So I took her advice and I'm living a full life once again, and still pinching myself at times because I never thought that I'd make it back as far as I did!!! It's not always been easy but then again, I never expected it to be easy!!! During this time I've learned that people will respect you so long as you show it without expecting any in return... I also learned that without respecting one self, one cannot respect others and therefore -  one cannot be as responsible as one would like to think!
Respect towards others breeds responsibility within one self and builds their own self-esteem!

In October, it will be ten years since my liver transplant and I want to think that I've accomplished to some degree what my role or purpose in life is... I know that I still have a ways to go but heck learning is after all, is a lifelong process!!! I also learned something early on that I'll always try to teach to other folks that may not be aware of it... None of us are perfect - PERIOD!!! Nor should any of us expect anyone else to be perfect!!! People will always disagree on something or another!!! RESPECT breeds RESPONSIBILITY!!!
Opinions are just that - OPINIONS!!! NOTHING MORE - NOTHING LESS!!!
ENJOY LIFE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN BECAUSE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT - IT"S DONE & YOU'RE GONE!!!
HAVE FUN EVERYONE!!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent...  Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-09-2007 18:55 Edited 01-09-2007 18:58
After 17 years of living on the road, I can pretty well determine what kind of person will survive and thrive doing this. I know pipeliners who can blow your doors off welding day in and day out and shut the bars down evey night, have a road wife, and are as broke when they drag as the day they test. Working on the road is a hard life. Period. Being gone 6-8 months at a time working 7-12's is HARD. It takes hard people to do it. Does that discourage anyone? Good! We earn the money we make. That is why someone willing to travel can demand more than those wanting to stay at home. But there is a price to be paid for missing birthdays, being home when the wife gets sick, kids grow up and all you contribute is a check. Gee, am I being a little discouraging again? Good. And that is why a lot of the people I know who are really good at this life have some type of problem. Or like myself are recovering. I have considered myself a professional. But living on the road aint easy! You may have a different experience. Working 8 hours a day, staying in a motel and meals paid by the employer, and getting to go home every 2 weeks? Not my experience. And as for "Schiney" that is slick with sparkle. You can almost judge a pipeliner by his welding truck. And starting out as a helper working up to a pipeliner will take 3-4 years. I will stand by that! And busting 2 or 3 test. You take a Blue book, a roll of adding machine tape and lay out a saddle, cut, fit and grind. (Not weld out) All in less than 3 hours. Take a set of 12 inch .375 nipples. Fit weld and stand back in one hour. You start welding and be able to do that in less than 3-4 years, you are a hand. Uh yea, that takes some ABILITY. I know guys who have welded for 10 years who cant do that. If it seems I was not encouraging enough, maybe YOU should tell who is looking for welders. You call any of the three, Tanco, HMT or Matrix, have some welding experience, can pass a drug test and are willing to travel, they have jobs!  
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-09-2007 20:58
I second "Dbigkahunna" comments regarding the hard life of being a "Road Warrior"!!! I know because I lived it before I got Ill!!!

Everything else well,  He's definitely entitled to his own opinion as much as everyone else in here and so long as no inappropriate content was used, I personally do not see problem with his comments IMHO!!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent...  Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By mohdnas (*) Date 01-16-2007 06:08
Hi  I'm mohammad from saudi arabia working as welding instructor in a new technical institute in saudi arabia. Now the institute is looking for qualified welding instructor to hire them. but it is urgent, the salary will be good and tax free and you will get accomidation free and medical insurance. the applicant should have at least diploma or bacholer degree and should be a welder not lecturer because it is hands on institute. If any one intersted please send me a C.V to this e-mail m_jti@yahoo.com or fax. 0096633420000 ext.6006.
feel free to contact me at anytime at             00966508761301        
Parent - - By dathan_gotham Date 02-07-2007 17:34
thanks again for the opinions and facts. i have taken a 12 day leave of absence from my day job and took a job in florida at a chemical plant shutdown. its not the first time in the industrial site, but as an educated welder it was. and things went smooth. it wasnt all peachy clean and all but thats the deal, the pay was great! i made alot and more than in two months of wage at my day job, in 12 days....   huh.. well   things have come to a hault on the day job i still work there, but im relocating to the north eastcoast for more school. and some underground tunnel work in nyc. thats that,  no more chiken shit,  im threw with the crap and small time job pay, im excitted to get into man hood. real work feels good,  as long as im safe!   thanks again and ill be on here again to post updates..... 
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 02-07-2007 20:12
Hey dathan,
Glad to hear from you youngster. See, gettin' your feet wet wasn't so bad, was it? Your entry into manhood will be rewarding and you will feel good about yourself and be proud of your accomplishments. A good day's work is very healthy and never lose a positive attitude. You'll run across some characters along the way, but never let anyone dissuade you or cause you to doubt your inner strength. Sometimes we gotta dig really deep for that last ounce of character, but it's in there....you'll find it. You always remember to take care of No1 first.....BE SAFE....BE AWARE....BE CONSCIENTIOUS....FIRST CLASS WORK ALWAYS!!! You keep in touch....Good Luck Dathan......Denny
Parent - - By Ak style Date 02-09-2007 07:44 Edited 02-09-2007 08:02
We are always looking for decent guys on the slope, they seem to be few and far in between. With the oil company spending record amounts the workload is high. I worked on the slope for 5 years, but with kids and a wife I choose to stay home now. You can make good money, the hours are 7- 12's, but I always choose to work more. We have several huge projects that will last throught the 09 season.

It is a boom/bust industry, but when I was making 90k in 6 months It was worth it. I gave the list of the bigger firms and thier HR sites.

If I can be of any help just ask.

Justin

http://www.asrcenergy.com/aeshr/   is our HR site.

Veco
http://veco.com/Careers/Default.asp

Peak Oilfield
http://www.peakalaska.com/

Udelhoven
http://www.udelhoven.com/employ.html
Parent - By dathan_gotham Date 02-21-2007 13:02
thank you all for support!!!  Im happy, well freaking out cause i have the oppertunity i thought might take years to get too.  im going to work up in nc, at the brunswick nuc plant.   and then another after that.  the weld test is similar to the testing i had at school. umm   6 inch 6g carbon, tig root hot pass, and 7018 fill and cap.  then a 2 inch   stainless   6g   purged, of course....   tig all the way out....   im happy to leave and ill be there monday...   man  im packin all my stuff, putting in storage, and gonna keep travling and getting as much experience as i can take!!!   or earn!!!   more or less, i love welding adn getting with a company as big as atlantic group, has been a dream of mine for sometime now...   im so excitted my spelling is getting bad.. haha   but...   i better get with the program, and slow down, do fine craftsman work, and be respectful!  i think ill be just ok!   im still so happy though!!! big smiles from me to all! thanks and have a good day!  
Parent - - By buzzbox1 Date 03-18-2007 04:32
The day you start asking yourself if it's time to move on, it's time to move on! Take the experience you have gained and find something that will expand on that. You have received some good advice here and some of that advice has come from those who have lived the trade for a long time. One thing I would elaborate on is letting others set time frame expectations. My fellow welder that remarked about the guy who couldn't make a fit-up after 10 years probably won't be able to do it after 20 years. Don't get me wrong here. It takes time to learn anything. However, it's those who take their learning seriously and apply that knowledge into solid work experience are the ones who will excel. By the way, the learning curve never ends. Remain confident (not cocky!!!) in your ability and open minded to continuous learning. Strive to be the best and the rewards will come. ($$$) Unfortunately, this trade, like all others, has it's share of half-asses. Find the "Top Dogs" on the job and stick by them. The last thing I would advise you to do is get the heck out of Fla. I spent 25 years living and working in the New England area. I moved to Fla. 3 years ago and was shocked to learn about the piss-poor wages welders make here. Especially in "open-shop" environments. Fortunately, I took my 25 year retirement and now enjoy a pretty decent pension and have an annuity worth about $300,000. (one of the benefits of a union book!) Best of luck.
Parent - - By GQ COWBOY (*) Date 04-02-2007 19:42
what's up
i'm in the same boat. I went to school fpr welding and pipe welding in Waco TSTI as it was call back then. I welded for a while and couldn't get the respect of the
old guys in the oil field. I worked in a shop building oil field slurry trucks and off shore rigs...Which I truely loved it. we worked from prints, you
cut everthing yourself, bent it. Whatever it took to get it done. After being talk down too and other stuff... I was just fed up... I said to myself
I'm going back to school and lean to draw with the software Autocad, Pro-E a 3-d software.. Which is cool as hell....I still have my love for welding to the max...I started working as a drafter, which after years I became a designer. now I'm another step Sr designer for another oil field
company in Houston.

This is the problem... I'm tried of sitting in a desk and working 8-5 and being bored....you can only do this for so long...
I'm ready to start back welding.....I've done a few things for people over the years. I truly miss welding for a living...
now, I have the abillty to lay it out on the computer, creat a drawing and a cut sheet...

I'm ready for my own shop....I always hear this... IN TIME YOU WILL, hell when will that be...
I'm trying to get a welding rig together now. Boy, just looking at the money, I'm needing is a mind blower...
So, needless to say, a little at a time I guess...

I went on a welding job out of town a few weeks ago. It was going to be a quick job, so I was thinking...
I was only putting expaned metal on some stairwell  (some truned out to be 18 stair or 11 floors)... Well, that trun into a 6-day job....which the pay was great... I made in a week, what I make in a month as a designer....Mmmmmmm
I guess that is what really got me thinking. Just to hear the super, say how good it looked and everyone was happy with the job...
My chest was out really far...smile What is funny, is that I only used a little mig 110 unit with fluxcore wire ...worked fine....

I was just wanting to know if I was loseing my mind... Or go with the flow and just go for it....
Parent - By psyco33 (**) Date 04-30-2008 16:51
I myself went to Amarillo TSTI  in 1988   small world.
was looking thru past post  saw this.
John
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / welding jobs