Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspectors needed
- - By chall (***) Date 01-05-2007 18:27
We are looking for experienced CWIs (two) to join our team for a project in Portland, Maine.

This add was released yesterday:

Welding Inspector needed. Be a key player on an industry-leading team of professionals.

Experienced CWI with a min of 3 years experience. Structural experience preferred.  Level II Certification in PT and/or MT a plus.  

Must have the ability to read and interpret production drawings, specifications and codes.  A good understanding of welding fabrication processes, good interpersonal and communication skills is required.  Must be able to function effectively with a positive attitude, in a fast paced, stressful environment.

Must be able to deal professionally with personnel at all levels (from craftsperson to owner's management representatives and third party authorities).

If you are interested, please send me an email (available on my profile page) and I will get it into the hands of our personnel department to begin the application process.

Thank you,
Charles Hall
Parent - By Ram_ (*) Date 01-05-2007 22:47
Sounds like a great opportunity. I am sure you will find very good inspectors here with plenty of experience.
Best wishes for 2007
Ram_
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-07-2007 00:32
If only Maine was just a little closer to Lynchburg, Va.......
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-07-2007 07:32
Where's your sense of adventure, John?  Dunno about some of you "oldtimers" who are unwilling to get up and move your duffs when opportunity knocks, lol!  ;-)
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 01-08-2007 20:05
Man, I need to get my CWI!!  Not sure if I'd be up for moving that far though, the wife and kids kind of limit the adventurous side in me.

But I do hear there's a lot of work around Houston paying around $40/hr.  I'd be up for that.....if only I'd just buckle down and take the dang exam.....oh, but then the other factor........around $2000!!!!!!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-08-2007 20:20
why not ask your employer if they would pay the cost of the exam for you?
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 01-09-2007 00:49
I have thought about it, but almost find it hard to justify.  I know it would benefit the company, but it would benefit me more than them.  We only deal with pressure vessels, and as you know, there is no requirement for a CWI in ASME.  I dont know, I've been really thinking about it, so I just need to get a proposal together and shoot for it.  Hell, they can only say no, right???
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-09-2007 02:25
Tito

Ask them for the whole shebang... Go for the week long seminar and the test for the capstone.

Those seminars offer very good data for procedure qualification and code interpretation... Even with section IX that is a worthy benefit.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-09-2007 05:42
Absolutely!  My Company sponsors very little and we are strictly an ASME Section III shop, pressure vessels, piping, etc., but they have enough foresight to find value in my CWI so sponsor anything to do with maintaining it.  I also agree with Lawrence, if you're going to go for it, shoot for the moon!
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-09-2007 14:13
I am not very knowledgeable about corporate tax issues but I believe the seminar and test would be tax deductable - so the company gets it back anyway.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-09-2007 14:22
Speaking of tax breaks, it may even be tax deductable for individuals using the training for work/business, like books or tools needed on the job, if documented correctly...don't quote me on that, best to ask your tax preparer about it.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 01-09-2007 15:43
i know a lot of asme contractors require a cwi to certify there welders. could you sell it as being abled to cetify your welders, as others in the industry are doing?
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 01-09-2007 16:04
Definately would ask for the whole thing.  I think I'll start on a proposal very soon and just see where it goes.  I'm pretty confident that I'd pass.  I reviewed some of the material and sample questions about three years ago and was confident then.  I have been talking about getting my CWI for a long time, but working for mom and pop shops that won't foot the bill have left me no choice, really, but to assume I'd have to save the money, which for the past few years has been impossible.  But now, I'm with a company that I think I might actually have a shot at having them pay for it.  If not, I'll get them to pay for more college. hehe

to hogan - I couldn't "sell" it so to speak, cause right now I test all of the welders now without being a CWI.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-09-2007 16:44
Although the CWI has limited value to a company with regard to ASME, it does add value to the overall company profile.  Good luck, new tito.
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 01-09-2007 18:06
Pass the test and ask for $1/Hr more.  It will pay for itself in a year.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-09-2007 18:38
Sorry for this, but it seems the thread has gotten a bit off track from what it was begun for... perhaps starting another thread to further flesh the issues out?  I think Charles may still be looking for a CWI?
Parent - By BamaDave (**) Date 01-11-2007 07:14
Charles,
You might consider posting this on https://www.inspectionjobs.com/
Also, you could consider posting on the equipment inspector's website.  Take a look in Email box and I'll pass some info on.

Good luck in your quest, as good inspectors are getting hard to find.

David
Parent - - By hung7601 (*) Date 02-02-2007 07:33
Hi Charles Hall

How can I contact you?
Parent - By chall (***) Date 02-02-2007 13:23
My email address is included with my profile.

Thanks.

Charles
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspectors needed