Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / overhead root pass with 1/8 e6010 on plate.
- - By weldment (*) Date 01-06-2007 00:38
How do you run a good open butt root pass with 1/8 E6010 on plate? How do you get the proper penetration? I've got to get this down so I can pass the welding test. Thanks for any help from anyone.
Parent - By dringge (*) Date 01-15-2007 14:22
I dont like to assume anything. Tell us exactly what you are doing. Material and material thickness, root opening, land thickness, machine settings, etc. What kind of technique are you using?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-31-2007 18:09
This may be a late response but I help anyway if I can.
Run a 3/32" gap with a 3/32" landing. Strike up on your tacks and then drag into the gap with a slight trailing angle. Once there step out to lightly 'eat' the landing aheadof you and initiate a keyhole. Step back and deposit. Step out, eat the landing allowing the deposit to cool, step back and deposit. Thats pretty much the way I used to do it. Some welders will close the gap and drag, but I always preferred a keyhole method. That way I can actually see the deposit sitting down along the ID edge and I know I'm getting good penetration.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / overhead root pass with 1/8 e6010 on plate.