Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How has AWS membership improved your career? (locked)
- - By jdove55 (*) Date 01-06-2007 03:20
I am think of becoming an AWS member.  I looked over the membership info on the site and printed a form to mail in.  I was wondering if some other welders could comment on how being a member has helped them.  Also if anyone is from Minnesota I would like to know how much training is available locally.  I would really like to get more training in welding thin stainless steel.   I would like to have an instuctor that has done a lot of this type of work.  Thanks  
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 01-06-2007 04:23
I can tell you without question that getting the Welding Journal alone makes the membership fee for AWS a good deal.  Extras like reduced-cost Welding Handbooks, training, etc. only serve to sweeten the deal.  And if you happen to have an active local AWS chapter, then you are on your way!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-06-2007 16:46
jdove; I can only give my opinion but, for me, AWS Membership opened so many doors to so many opportunities and provided access to such a wealth of knowledge that if I could turn back the 25 years I've been a member and change my mind I'd do it all over again.  You simply cannot know how much membership will benefit you until you've become a member.  Like I said, doors will open and opportunities and knowledge you never dreamt of will be at your fingertips.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-06-2007 18:20
jon: So besides being certified, how do I join aws?
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 01-06-2007 22:01
sourdough , e-mail me your snail mail address i'll send you an application . my welding today consist of burning a pencil on all of this paper work i'm doing over the weekend . good luck . willie 
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-08-2007 16:51 Edited 01-08-2007 16:55
Good Morning Sourdough!!

Certification is NOT a requirement to join the American Welding Society.

Go to the membership page of the website: http://www.aws.org/membership and follow the instructions or call 1-800-443-9353, ext. 480 and
you're on your way!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent...  Run Deep!!!
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-08-2007 18:48
I agree.  Certification is NOT a requirement for membership.  Not sure where you got that idea Sourdough?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-07-2007 12:32
The welding journal and the welding handbooks that YOU USE TO GET EVERY TIME YOU RENEWED! Have been a great source of learning for me. If you are in an area where there is an active AWS section, attend some of the meetings. It is good to be with people of similar interests.

I didn't keep my membership active for quite a few years. My welding journal library has quite a few gaps in it.

Gerald
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 01-08-2007 19:44
The aws forum has helped me immensly with what I don't know and has helped even more in correcting me on what I think I do know. The best place on the web for info on our trade. Great People, great topics, and great responses, its the place to be on the web if you are at all interested in being the best you can be.
Darren
Parent - - By Aldridge6670 (*) Date 01-12-2007 13:12
yes  I'm not certified  would like to be  just haveing that piece of paper. aws forum has helped me be able to weld chromoly and even helped a person out  TIG welding 304/316 stainless steel pipe  so  yes.
I wish I would have known about this page years ago.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-12-2007 13:16
The thing is, one need not be a member to access to benefits of the forum.  AWS Membership comes with its own unique benefits.  For $85/year or whatever it is now its very well worth it!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How has AWS membership improved your career? (locked)