Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / worth it? (locked)
- - By drewP Date 01-06-2007 03:30
hey - new guy here. i'm starting a beginners class real soon so i don't know too much,but....i found an old torch(cutting?) at an antique store- didn't buy it,yet. i was wondering if it would be smart to get and refurbish it? the store was closing so i don't have specs. xcept = it's dirt cheap,it's brass and steel(alum?), and has 3 tubes in a triangular shape going to the head. i see new units can cost as much as $400-$500!?  should i or there too much trouble?thanks so much!
Parent - - By flatwins (*) Date 01-06-2007 13:17
Welcome aboard.  I'm a newbie but I could offer you at least one opinion. Unknown oxy-acet equipment scares me.  First check to see that it's a well known brand, i.e. Victor, Harris.  If so then take the model numbers to a welding supply and see if you can still get rebuild parts for it.  With a O/A torch that you don't know the history of it's safe to assume that you will need to rebuild it with new o-rings, etc.  If you still can get parts for it then consider the price.  Also factor in that you'll need bottles and regulators.  After you take your welding class you'll have a better feel for what type of equipment you'll want to buy for your home and\or shop but anyone who does even a small amount of metal fab work can benefit from having a O/A cutting rig handy.  Be sure you end up with a safe piece of equipment otherwise you'll have a timebomb sitting in your garage.  Be warned-I just took a welding class and ended up buying a Lincoln Precision Tig 185.  My $200 welding class got real expensive real quick.  ;-)

Steve
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-06-2007 14:21
Hello drewP, that was very sound advice that Steve gave you in his post. Even though you might think that this is a good deal on a torch, and it may well be, it is very likely that there will be better possible deals out there on equipment that has a traceable history and is more complete, ie.: torch, hoses, flashback arrestors, regulators, bottles, cart, tips, etc. After you have taken a course or two in welding you may also find that you might develope a preference for some other specific brand or type of cutting/welding equipment. You very well will end up getting the welding bug as so many of us others have, have fun and be safe. Regards and Good Luck, aevald
Parent - - By drewP Date 01-06-2007 16:10
hi sorry i was in a hurry and replied to the wrong email-i'mma dumbass, the torch is the range of $25 so being so cheap i thought why not but i don't need another paper weight,i'll just have to go back and get details-thanks!
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-06-2007 18:03
I would chance 25 bucks all day if the torch looks decent. Get on ebay and look at those torches. I just got a 2460 head for 34 bucks that worked good.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / worth it? (locked)