Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 3H Qual plate NR-232 .o68 tips/costs
- - By joglazier (*) Date 01-06-2007 04:08
Does anybody know how much this certification will cost me ? Also any tips on past successes or failures welding this plate?
Parent - - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 01-09-2007 18:06
If you were in Colorado, I would peform this certification for $95.00 and an additional $20.00 if you don't have the prepared coupon.  This includes the use of our equipment to weld to the coupon.  You are certainly welcome to use your own rig if you have one for this as well.  This is assuming you are welding one inch thick coupons.  3/8 inch coupons save you $5 on the coupons and about twney minutes of your time.  Use this as a guide if you can to get price quotes from others.
Good Luck!!
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-10-2007 04:28
Are you a CWI ?
Parent - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 01-10-2007 04:48
LA City, La County, ICBO/ICC Legacy structural steel and welding inspector performing certification testing.  Never could make any real money with just a CWI using the D-1.1 code in the structural world.  Too limiting!!  Incidently for those nay sayers out there,there is no requirement in D-1.1 that certification personnel need to be a CWI. I am under the impression that person requesting certification is looking to do for use in D-1.1 code work (ie Structural Steel and Bridges)
Regards
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 01-09-2007 21:23
I am assuming you meant 3G when you typed 3H? 

If so, use enough wire speed to get reliable displacement of the slag.... I would probably run in the 150-170 IPM range for root and fill.  For cover maybe 100-135 IPM.  232 likes to run a relatively thick (not wide) bead - you can't really skin a thin one on like with 7018.  So, it is important to allow enough depth prior to the cover to allow somewhere for the metal to go.  You don't want to rush vertical and then have the slag split or island on you.
Parent - - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 01-10-2007 05:07
Blaster!
Your specific comments on the dreaded NR 232 are very good!  Very few welders I work with, excepting those in Los Angeles, really like to use it due to it's particular characteristics.  Unfortunately the Lincoln application guides do not put forth this specific information regrding wire speed and voltage at the arc. It would be fun to compare some additional notes regarding wire speed, voltage, torch angle, methods of progression, deposition rate and such to compile a practical users guide for success  with this wire.  Let me know if this interests you.

Now to take off the inspector hat and put on my welding hood for a moment.  Have you had occassion to run the new terchnology NR-233 wire touted in these parts as the replacement for the NR-232?  I am on roll number twenty seven and rather like the stuff.  It is very forgiving on wire speed, voltage, position, etc and is very smooth.  It does however appear to have a very generous slag coating beyond that of NR-232 and as such does not seem to have as high a filler metal deposition rate.  Our local supplier can only get 1/16" diameter on 12.5lb sppols so I have tried direct comparason on a structural retrofit project with two LN-25 feeders one with NR 233 and one with NR-232 at .068" diameter.  My conclusions forementioned are based on this testing.  Your comments woulkd be appreicated as I am the only one according to local supply sources running this wire in my area.  And as such have limited opportunities for varied use.
Regards!
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 01-10-2007 05:31
I really enjoy welding 232.  Most of my experience with it is with .072".  I like it very much as the welding is very dynamic -  more so than any other process / electrode I am familiar with.  Base metal temperature, voltage, stickout, and electrode angle all need to be taken into account closely and continuously to get really good results.

I have tried 233 and I do like it.  I agree it is more foregiving than 232.  However I still do prefer the stiff arc characteristic of NR 232.  I have also used ESAB E71T-8 and again, I prefer the arc characteristics of 232.

I would be willing to share some hard learned 232 tips if someone was interested.
Parent - By shooterfpga (*) Date 01-28-2007 21:48 Edited 02-02-2007 11:47
you're right about always having to change the settings, seems like most of my time is used just trying to dial it in for day. im also thinking about preheating when i go to test for 3G and 4G on the 232.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 3H Qual plate NR-232 .o68 tips/costs