Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / MIL-STD-2219
- - By Weldz61 (*) Date 01-07-2007 14:27
I would like to know what testing is required, both destructive and non-destructive, to qualify a welding procedure under or MIL-STD-2219. I have the latest copy of 2219 and it is quite vague (to me) in its description. I realize that info. for qualification under this code should be able to be found in MIL-STD-1595 but again it doesn't say what type of tests to be performed, location or how many. I guess I am used to the tables and figures in AWS D1.1 that outline this info for both qualification of personell and procedure.

I am aware of D17.1 that was to superceed and I guess combine MIL-STD-2219 and MIL-STD-1595 but unfortunately I do not have that document. I thought maybe someone out there that may have D17.1 or 2219 may be able to interpret them and pass the info. along. I do know the code that is called out is MIL-STD-2219 and that is what should appear on all documents. So it is a bit confusing knowing D17.1 is the newer document. I would suspect it was not intended to totally replace 2219. So if anyone has any experiece with procedure qualification within 2219 PLEASE inform me as to the type of test, number of test required and location in which they are to be removed from the coupon. The joint design is an open root groove weld. Any help is appreciated.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-08-2007 02:24 Edited 01-08-2007 18:18
z61

No short answer, sorry.

Mil-Std 1595 was superceeded by D17.1

Mil-Std 2219 (July 2005 latest ed)  was not superceeded by D17  (unfortunatly)

**Edit**    AWSD17.1 2001 is in fact not the newer doccument, as Mil-Std 2219 was republished in 2005

However for purposes of welder and procedure qualification you will *need* copies of 2219, AWS D17, and AWS B2.1. Here are a few of the reasons:

Mil Std-2219
4.2 Procedure Qualification
"Prior to engaging in production welding, the welding procedure for Classes A and B shall be qualified. The pertinent welding variables shall be Identified. Section 2 of AWS B2.1 should be used as a guideline in the development of the welding procedure to ensure that all pertinent Variables and tollerances are included....."

4.3 Welding personnel qualification
"Each welder or welding operator shall be qualified n accordence with AWS D17.1 section 4 prior to performing any production welding."

2219 is sort of intentionally vague as it references other codes to get more specific data. This way it stays a slim doccument.

Interpreting that much info and passing it on to you is just too big a job to handle in the forum. But when you get your copies of the code, bring your questions as there are more than a few aerospace folks able to pitch in and help you.

Hope this helps lead you in the right direction.

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / MIL-STD-2219