Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Joining 4130 tubing and Cast Iron
- - By RotIronRacer Date 01-07-2007 16:06
I am restoring an old Harley motorcycle frame and need to replace the backbone with 4130 tubing. when the frame is assembled the stress on the backbone joints is a "compresion" stress on the backbone. The backbone slips into a cast iron form at the headstock and at the seat area. Harley, during construction of these frames would "sweat" the joints with a brass or bronze filler. The joints are 1.5" diameter and about 1.5" deep. My concerns are obviously the safety aspect of racing a motorcycle frame with this type of repair and the correct process in the repair procedure to address this safety concern, but also the risk of ruining the cast iron sleeve on the cast parts by applying too much heat while trying this brazing technique. My thought is to actually solder the joints with Rockmount Gemini-S solder & Gemini Solder Flux in an attempt to maintain a lower tempature with an oxy/acetelyne torch with the rosebud tip, thinking that the joints on this repair aren't as critical as other types of stresses on a soldered joint. Would are your thoughts and suggestions?  Thanks!!
Parent - - By jbndt (**) Date 01-07-2007 20:07
Why are you replacing the upper tube? Bent or cracked? Guessing behind the speedo/tank mount?
Restoration? What year? What type of racing?

Have you spark checked the neck casting? Mine were cast steel NOT cast iron! (Used 7018 when I raked the frames ...)

Can you cut the tube a couple of inches back from the socket and sleeve it internally on both ends?
Install your new tube and full-pen to the internal sleeves while keeping the 'brazed' socket cool.
Heli-Arc (TIG, GTAW) or mig the joint and watch your heat in-put. (Much neater than stick.)
And yes, it was still "Heli-Arc" when I started welding!

Further discussion?
Try me off Forum at fls82@aol.com

Best of luck,
Jimmy
Parent - - By RotIronRacer Date 01-08-2007 02:33
I knew I din't have enough information together when I posted this! The backbone has been cut out and completely removed from the frame. There is a stub cut off flush with the headstock casting, but completely removed from seat area casting. It looks like someone tried to lower the seat height by cutting the twin vertical tubes, removing the back bone and then realized you can't very easily lower the headsock casting. No, I have not tried a spark test on the casting, I just assumed it was cast iron...
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-08-2007 04:36
Welding where there is already brazing is an exercise in frustration.  My inclination would be to heat the casting until the braze melts, remove the stub, insert the new tube and rebraze.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Joining 4130 tubing and Cast Iron