Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / When the bill is high. . .
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-10-2007 01:23
When someone complains about the bill being to high for your fabrication job, simply tell them this; " I can put a couple more hours on that ticket". See how they react. Guaranty they sign the invoice. . . .and you get paid.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-10-2007 08:52
Hey there Sourdough, in a similar vein, when students ask me if a weld is good enough I ask them if they would personally pay $75 to $100/hr for that weld. If I, or you, or anyone else is willing to pay the cost for work that we have done, then we can justify the bill. Have a great day and regards, Allan
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 01-10-2007 15:21
I always tell them "Get what you pay for".  I really like it when they tell you, "the last guy that fixed that only cost XXX" 

If you would have paid that much for the origional job, I would have not be here today fixing the poor workmanship of the last guy!!

It's funny, they complain every time were out.....but they keep calling!!!???!???!!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-10-2007 16:39
     So true, you get what you pay for!! Nobody realizes the skill involved when a good fabricator goes to town on a difficult project. They also don't seem to understand the price of alloys, and fuel nowadays.

When they go down to the filling station and it cost's them a Benjamin to fill up their pick-up, what do they think it costs us to fill 2 or 3 rigs and machines? Somewhere in the ballpark of 4 bills!

The ones that crack me up are the ones that have an emergency at 3am, then cry about the bill.
I'm fixin to raise my rate, thats why I brought the subject up.
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 01-10-2007 17:22
sourdough , we shipped up a auger drill rig last summer paid freight + 16% fuel surcharge to all freight to ak. also if your dad or brother has a rig down this way next summer my b-inlaw wants a new well . he should be back from iraq by then . tried to e- mail but must be old address . drop me a line . usually if they have to ask the price they can't afford it . good luck
Parent - By Dave (**) Date 01-10-2007 17:26
Generally, there are three ways a customer wants a job done. They want it done good, they want it done fast and they want it done cheap.  But the general rule is that they can only obtain a combination of any two!  How many of you have heard the term "down and dirty fast and easy"  or something similar, as opposed to "the best you can do?"
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 01-10-2007 20:29
Hey SD,
Gotta agree wholeheartedly with you. I quoted a restoration job for a construction company owner on a John Deere cement grader last year...400.00 after looking at it and what needed done. Needless to say, it was a bit of an underprice when I really got started and what had to be done. I hadn't tackled a project so extensive(unknowingly) in a while and 400.00 seemed fair. After a week....I got it done, including a paint job with John Deere Green. The guy was so pleased when he came to pick it up. I told him I'd never do another like that at that price again....he kinda smiled. BUT!!! He took and passed out a hundred cards or so, and sent me so much work, I was busy for a year....I did make up for his job. And he still sends me work. I might post the photos if there's any interest....Things work out.......Denny
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-11-2007 02:13
To Willie: Don't know if my Ol' man will go that far. I know if he did He'd have to charge a bunch. Since Les Creary died there's not many guys out there drilling nowadays. Give him a shout though, and you never know. . .

Yorkiepap: I don't know how many times I cut my own throat on bid jobs. Railings that took way too long, pipe tubs that took way too much material, etc...
One thing is for sure, I did my best even though I took it in the shorts. And - I also got a bunch of work from it. I suppose it all worked out in the wash.
Thank goodness nowadays I can afford to bid high every time.

I always like seeing someone elses work, put it on man!! Maybe you could coach me through the picture deal one more time. Pretend you're talking to a 3rd grader!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-11-2007 23:57
You weren't kidding about that John Deere green, were you! I gotta tell you, you got a bunch of patience, brother!! When I see something like that the thought " how bout a brand new unit?",  comes to mind. I HATE CLEAN UP WORK!

You know, I heard if you end up damned in hell you get a grinder and another grinder, one for each hand!!
Parent - - By Molten Metal (**) Date 01-12-2007 02:28
Great work Denny! Man,I relly like trctors too.My wife thinks I'm nuts.I always watch "classic tractors" on the RFD channel,& love it.I got a mobile job for a recycling yard here and am repairing dump hoppers,roll-offs,conveyors etc.The manager calls me up when he need's me and pays $50.00 an hour.I almost felt guilty about taking that much,but then I went and bought some oxy,and smaw rod,and some mig wire and diesel for the truck and....well,you guy's are right.When you figure in the cost,it's not all that much.I'm not complaining at all,but $50.00 an hour really ISNT that at all when all's said and done.Dang-it!! Now I want to weld on some good old Oliver or Massey of some kind.Keep up the good work gents.Gary............
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-12-2007 23:05 Edited 01-12-2007 23:11
rfdtv - LOVE IT!!! Now you know brother, it aint no happy time going to the yard for materials. I charge a bunch more than it cost me after discount on steel. When it comes down to it, the customer is paying exactly what it would cost them off the street for that stuff. I think that is fair. Most welders just getting started don't think that there's much overhead to contract welding. My first year I almost bent over to the IRS. The next year it was better. When I first started, I thought I was going to be rich!
As far as small businesses, the IRS is after all of us self employed businesses like no other. They will tag you, watch you, tax you, and audit you like no other business in the nation, period. This is how the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer!!  Every time I get a "big one"(job), my wife cringes, because she knows it will get slim for 2 or 3 months. No more shopping, (yeah right), and no more dining out for a while.
This what we look forward to :Steel, fuel, rod, discs, gas, tools, paint, leads, toolboxes, tires, oil, windshields, insurance, shop rent, office rent, advertisement, relocation, electricity, gas, snowplowing, phone bill, internet bill, heat, water, secretary, paper, envelopes, stamps, sub contractors, equipment, ( cranes, excavators, backhoes, winch trucks, equipment haulers, roustabout crews, cement trucks, wirecrews, etc.. etc..etc... then some. Some we pay for, some we dont. Needless to say, the bigger you get the less home life you are allowed. I enjoy the challenge, and i don't think I would trust it to any one else. "Stay small - it pays!!"
Ah well, I'll sleep when I die??
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 02-04-2007 07:36
the better you are at your job the easier it appears to an outsider. if you do your job very well the end product looks as if anyone could have done it. its called intelligent design and most customers assume that your thinking and experience is free. just bring up the cost of their problem and compare it to your cost of solution, also if there is any doubt what so ever have them commit some money up front and have them pay in full before it leaves your hands. people have access to bank machines and internet banking and a whole host of other solutions to payment. the wealthy are the worst, a working guy will pay you right there on the spot. a wealthy guy will ask for money off and expect to pay you after he gets back from his vacation, if they want you to carry them then just say no.
darren
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-05-2007 02:40
darren: Oh how right you are about the rich....I have had more problems with the hoity toiytie rich than any other. i once did a handrail for a guy that was in a tight spot with his inspection. He demanded that I complete and install the handrail within 4 days. I was free that weekend and did it. I installed the CUSTOM rail and asked for the check. He said he wasn't going to pay me until the inspector passed the house. I uninstalled my handrail and left. This was a 34 MILLION DOLLAR house, and I was screwed over a 5k dollar handrail. Needless to say, the inspector failed  the house because there was no handrails.The man called me several times to have the rails reinstalled, but never would committ to at least half down. I have no idea, whatsoever, what the problem was to this day............
Parent - - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 02-08-2007 06:13
Rich People Lesson#1: Rich people do not want anyone to believe that they could run out of money.  Rich people insult other rich people with comments like "What's the matter? Did you run out of money?"  Rich people would rather be accused of anything other than running ouut of money since then they would no longer be rich.

Not So Rich Welder Guy Working For Rich People Lesson #1:  When complaints come your way about the bill being too high ask them If they like what they see? (your finished product well done as always) When they say "yes!"  Ask them if they can afford what they like.  When they reply "Yes!"  Then remind them that since they liked what they saw and can afford what they like; they should just go ahead and write you a check.  This has worked for me everytime!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-10-2007 20:26
That's why I went oilfield.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 03-11-2007 17:02
I always tell them - "if your paying with peanuts you get monkeys" .
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-12-2007 02:02
Sometimes you get elephants.  Sorry I couldn't resist.
Bill
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-13-2007 05:56
What if you're paying with Meow Mix? Haw haw haw....
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 03-13-2007 11:35
I've been paid with noodles.  Not for welding though.

Hg
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-14-2007 16:22
I can only wonder 'cause I'm too afraid to ask.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-19-2007 18:17
A fellow I use to work for that taught me quite a bit about welding said it this way "Never be afraid to ask for the money...tell em how much and be firm everytime.  They will come back again and again.  If you hem-haw on the price they won't respect you or your work"
This guy was charging about 30% more than everyone else, he was also taking most of thier work away from them.  Two reasons ..exceptional quality and you could trust him.

Another fellow I use to work for who was a shrewd businessman  "You can sell high quality at a high price...but you can't give away crap no matter how hard you try"
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / When the bill is high. . .