Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tig Welding 6063-T52 Aluminum (locked)
- - By devo (***) Date 01-10-2007 16:27
I am currently building a rack for a pickup truck out of 2" square tubing.  It is 6063-T52,.125" wall with .25 radiused corners.  I am planning on using 1/16" 5356 filler metal using an inverter GTAW machine.  The welds will be fillet welds with some butt welds.  My question is, is it preferable on the butt welds to have a little melt-thru ( <.060") or should melt thru be avoided?  I am not using back purging, but would it be necessary? 
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-10-2007 17:23
Melt thru on full penetration butt welds is common... It will take alot of heat to melt thru 1/8,  a pointed zirconium electrode and balence control set more toward max penetration will help maximize penetration.

Backpurge is not generally required in your situation with or without melt thru.

You may also find 3/32 filler wire a bit more easy to handle in your situation.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 01-10-2007 19:52
Hey  devo,
Just a note to say I have to agree with Lawrence on this one, and definitely go with the 3/32 filler....Denny
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 01-10-2007 20:12
Thanks for the advice.  I am using pointed 2% ceriated electrodes, but I don't think there will be much difference.  I just did some poor man's guided bend tests on some .060" wall square tubing and the coupons with little to no melt thru snapped easily, but the ones with ample melt thru stayed intact.  I am a relative novice on Tig welding.  I took the week long Tig class at Lincoln Electric, which was most helpful, but what I really need now is about 2000 more hours of practice.  Speaking of which.........
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 01-10-2007 20:40
Hey devo,
Glad to hear your having success with your setup testing. Practice and more practice is an absolute....it will never fail you...only make you better. Let us know how you do with your project.....Denny
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tig Welding 6063-T52 Aluminum (locked)