Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspecting to other codes.
- - By S.E.N.S.E (*) Date 01-11-2007 01:39
If a CWI is certified by D1.1, can he/she inspect to any code or only to AWS codes? For example I am certified by D1.1 but the company I work for has a job to be inspected to NIB code. Can I inspect to this code as long as the NIB code does not forbid it? I know I can inspect to any AWS code, but it is a little unclear if I am allowed to inspect to NIB code. NIB goes hand in hand with ASME sec IX as far as inspecting pressure vessels. Sorry if this is a dumb question and I am just missing something. Thanks in advance.

Shane
Parent - - By BamaDave (**) Date 01-11-2007 06:59
It depends on what type of inspection your talking about.  If it requires certification of a U1 or R1 forms then yes you will have to have a NBIC Commissioned inspector, however if you are conducting inspection of equipment that is being fabricated then a CWI would in most cases be acceptable.  If you could elaborate more as to the duties of the inspector I could possibly provide a better opinion.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-11-2007 11:05
Good answer, BamaDave.  To further, with ASME Codes, one has to differentiate between the "Inspector" and the "Examiner."  The Inspector, as you mention, is the Authorized (NBIC) Inspector while the examiner (what we would routinely call the inspector, such as a CWI) works on behalf of the contractor or owners agent.  There are also a few standards that require ASNT qualification for visual examinations.
Parent - - By S.E.N.S.E (*) Date 01-12-2007 15:28
We are installing a sample port into the bottom of a vessel. The port must be welded inside and outside and must be inspected. I didnt know if I could do the inspection or if we had to hire an NIBC inspector.
Parent - By BamaDave (**) Date 01-12-2007 16:44 Edited 01-12-2007 16:48
The owner of the vessel can make the decision depending on there requirements.  I still do not know enough, so I have other questions.  Obviously this equipment has already been placed into service, correct?  Has this vessel been registered with the National Board?  Is this an ASME vessel, with a code stamp?  Are you a code shop certified by the National Board?  What is the design pressure of the vessel?  What is the basic size of this equipment. 

I can tell you basically what is required but it all comes down to what the owner/user of the equipment wants to do, as it is there responsibility to meet and uphold governing code requirements.  Typically if this were a code vessel the repairs would be made by a code shop that holds an "R" stamp with the National Board.  Now having said that, most code shops have a QC department with individuals, many time CWIs that follows repairs or alterations in accordance with the code and the NBIC commissioned inspector is outsourced as they typically represent the stamp holder through there insurance carrier.  They many times don't get heavily evolved until the completion of the job and review the paperwork and witness the hydrostatic testing of the equipment.  Additionally the owner could opt to use the inspection requirements using API 510 inspectors and not register the repairs with the National Board.

Please provide some additional details.  Or if you are reluctant to provide details and want more specific answers, you could contact the Chief Inspector for the governing state and he could provide the requirements.  Here is a contact link that I believe will be helpful for you:
https://www.nationalboard.org/NationalBoard/Members/Default.aspx

Click on the state in which the equipment is located and you will be linked to the Chief Inspector and he can answer your questions over the phone.

Hope this helps!

David
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-12-2007 17:06
All good questions.  If it is a stamped vessel, you or your company will surely need an ASME VIII Stamp to support the repair or modification.  From all of the unknown's in your question, it sounds very much to me as though you will have to have an Authorized Inspector.  That is NOT to say you won't also have to inspect the work in house as well.....
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 01-12-2007 17:49
As far as coded vessels, and "R" stamping goes, the main decision rests on the hands of the owner of the vessel.  Also it depends on the state you are in, and/or the jurisdiction.  Some states have requirements for these issues, while some don't.  Texas, for example does not have a requirement for pressure vessels.....boilers, yes....pressure vessels, no.  So, for example, if you're in Texas and have an ASME "U" stamped vessel that belongs to farmer Joe and he wants a 2" coupling added in, there are no state requirements that dictate you have to have an "R" stamp to work on it.  Is it a good idea to have one, yes.  Some states, as I said, require that all repairs be in accordance with NBIC and "R" stamped.  An "R" stamp does require an national board commisioned inspector to sign off on the required R1 form for repairs.

I would highly suggest to contact the customer, and find out the state requirements.

As for repairs to section VIII  "U"  stamped vessels, if required, would only require an "R" stamp in accordance with the NBIC.  You do not have to have an ASME "U" stamp to perform the repairs, however if it is an ASME "U" stamped vessel, all repairs would have to be in accordance with ASME sec VIII, per NBIC.
Parent - - By BamaDave (**) Date 01-13-2007 00:15
It all boils down to what the owner of the vessel requires.  By definition a owner-user:
An operator of pressure vessels who exercises control over the operation, engineering, inspection, repair, alteration, testing, and rerating of those pressure vessels.

That pretty much sums it up, don't you think?
Parent - By S.E.N.S.E (*) Date 01-29-2007 00:27
Thanks for all your answers. We are contacting NIB. They have to give permission for inspection.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspecting to other codes.